If Loop Errors

I'm trying to do a loop based on a condition without forming 2 totally seporate loop statements, so this is what I did:

For 
    If $Formating = 1 Then  
        $a = 1 To $looping - 1
    Else
        $a = 1 To $looping
    EndIf

I'm getting an error with this. I've tried various combonations surrounding this small statement, but all of them produce errors. Is something like this possible, or do I need to do two entire loop functions?

I'm trying to do a loop based on a condition without forming 2 totally seporate loop statements, so this is what I did:

For 
    If $Formating = 1 Then  
        $a = 1 To $looping - 1
    Else
        $a = 1 To $looping
    EndIf

I'm getting an error with this. I've tried various combonations surrounding this small statement, but all of them produce errors. Is something like this possible, or do I need to do two entire loop functions?

why not just:

If $formatting = 1 Then 
$step = -1
Else
$step = 1
EndIf
For $a = 1 To $looping Step $step

***edit*** apparently changed [ autoit] [ /autoit] tags to [ code] [ /code] tags, since the former didn't work for me...

Edited by cameronsdad

Thanks, but that doesn't work...or at least the way I need or expect it to work.

$looping is a variable input box that determines how many times the looping is suppose to function.

If $Formatting = 1 then I want $looping to happen one less times. If $Formatting does not equal one, then the $looping happens to whatever number specified in the input.

With what you gave me, if it equals 1, which would be "-1", the loop just happens once...meaning it doesn't loop. And the Else, will make it just continue none stop.

What now?

For $a = 1 To $looping - $Formatting
Next

only works if $formatting is 0 or 1

else you could do like

if $formatting Then
For $a = 1 To $looping - 1
_function()
next
else
for $a = 1 to $looping
_function()
Next
Endif

func _function()
endfunc

typed in the brouwser so dont hang me...

Edited by w0uter

My UDF's:;mem stuff_Mem;ftp stuff_FTP ( OLD );inet stuff_INetGetSource ( OLD )_INetGetImage _INetBrowse ( Collection )_EncodeUrl_NetStat_Google;random stuff_iPixelSearch_DiceRoll

The second one is what I was trying to avoid because it would make the script too big. The first one was causing problems.

What I did was take the idea of the first one and added something to it. I made a checkbox activate a hidden inputbox with a 1 or 0, and had the "Formatting" read that inputbox. That worked.

Thanks for your help though.