Uninstalling Applications

I am looking to perfom a mass uninstall of the company virus scanners and then install a more recent version and need to know what the best way to do this would be. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated...samples or examples are greatly appreciated.

Edited by cdnnewbie

[quote]He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame[/quote]

Check in the registry the line you should use to unistall.

HK-LM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Uninstall <- Here :D

Run it and emulate the keys to complete it... Next Next Yes I am sure and so go on...

Add a check that Exit the script if the program is already uninstalled!

Finally, set that the script start in the netlogon commands.

Now when any of your user will turn on the computer will have the offending app uninstalled.

If you can use control commands! Some user have the bad idea of let hundred of application starting at logon and they may steal the focus to the uninstaller.

If you have wake-on-lan enabled you may even scrip that the computer turns on in a non lavorative hour (like 3:00 am), un-install and turn off.

Great tips, ezzetabi. I've considered doing this myself, I've got WOL (Magic Packet from AMD works great) but I was wondering how you would recommend kicking off the program on the PCs you woke up at 3:00am. Just looking for the name of the utility you would use to remotely execute the script.

I do know from experience that control commands work when the box is logged off and/or locked. I believe you have to use a RunAsSet when the box isn't logged in, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Edited by Batch

ezzetabi (or anyone else who might know),

I'm fairly new to AutoIT, but how can you determine which Registry entry is the one for the application. When I go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Uninstall, I see what appears to be randomly assigned numbers which represent the application. I guess what I need is help on how to search the sub-registry entries for the application name, then supply Auto-It with that unique number?...?...? After that, I would instruct AutoIt to execute the UninstallString....

I've got no idea on how I would code that... :D Please advise.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Roger

Roger O."When people show you who they are, believe them.” --Mark Twain

Thanks, Valik. However, I would prefer (if possible) to stay away from the unstable version. This code, once complete, would be sent out to one-hundred + machines. I would hate for the unstable code to cause some unforseen problems.

Anyone else know of a way this can be done with the stable version? I have a need to use this within the next 2 weeks, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger O."When people show you who they are, believe them.” --Mark Twain

guess.

sorta.

how many different versions of the old AV are out there? go to a machine that has each old version and copy the command in that registry, along with what version it is... write a script that checks for the file in the place for each version and then runs the command for the propper uninstall... or maybe they're all in the same place?

hope that helps

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

The "Random numbers" are actually non random and they are made from WinInstaller and InstallShield, since they are not userfriendly you have to manually find the right one.

Seek for setup.ini files in your OS drive and check the folder names, you'll find your strange numbers in the foder names, check the .ini contents and you'll find the right one.

Example of one of this setup.ini :

User friendly indeed, dont you think?

[Startup]
AppName=Type2045 TWAIN Driver Ver.3
ProductGUID=5121762F-E009-4739-89E9-2D08F22DBB25
Engine=0
Copy=1
Source=0
[Languages]
Default=0x0009
count=21
key0=0x0010
key1=0x0013
key2=0x001d
key3=0x000a
key4=0x0005
key5=0x0006
key6=0x0007
key7=0x0014
key8=0x000e
key9=0x000b
key10=0x0c0c
key11=0x040c
key12=0x0015
key13=0x0416
key14=0x0816
key15=0x0019
key16=0x0009
key17=0x0012
key18=0x0804
key19=0x0404
key20=0x0011
Edited by ezzetabi

• 4 months later...

I am not sure how to do what I want to do. But I think it belongs in this category. I just want to uninstall an applicaiton, I dont have a built in uninstallation program for it. I know where the log file that is used to uninstall the program usually is. Do I just unregister all the dll in there and delete all the files in the directories, or is there more to it than that.

Thank you

The "Random numbers" are actually non random and they are made from WinInstaller and InstallShield, since they are not userfriendly you have to manually find the right one.

Seek for setup.ini files in your OS drive and check the folder names, you'll find your strange numbers in the foder names, check the .ini contents and you'll find the right one.

Example of one of this setup.ini :

User friendly indeed, dont you think?

[Startup]
AppName=Type2045 TWAIN Driver Ver.3
ProductGUID=5121762F-E009-4739-89E9-2D08F22DBB25
Engine=0
Copy=1
Source=0
[Languages]
Default=0x0009
count=21
key0=0x0010
key1=0x0013
key2=0x001d
key3=0x000a
key4=0x0005
key5=0x0006
key6=0x0007
key7=0x0014
key8=0x000e
key9=0x000b
key10=0x0c0c
key11=0x040c
key12=0x0015
key13=0x0416
key14=0x0816
key15=0x0019
key16=0x0009
key17=0x0012
key18=0x0804
key19=0x0404
key20=0x0011

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not sure how to do what I want to do.  But I think it belongs in this category.  I just want to uninstall an applicaiton, I dont have a built in uninstallation program for it.  I know where the log file that is used to uninstall the program usually is.  Do I just unregister all the dll in there and delete all the files in the directories, or is there more to it than that.

Thank you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a tough one, all programs are different, and there's different install tools for installing them. There isn't a 'typical' answer for your question. There is software called "snapshot" software that takes a 'picture' of the current state of your computer, pre-install, then you install the software, and take another, the differences are what's been isntalled... Sorry, no easy answer.

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)