more on running autoit executable as scheduled task...

UH OH... well.... it's still not doing what I need. It may be that autoit can't do it. I have an executable script that opens a web browser, 'goes to a URL', fills out a multi-stage form and submits it. Works like a charm when I run it.

However, if I try to execute it as a scheduled task it does not work. I've tried scheduling the task as the local administrator, using my domain/user and password in the 'run as' settings of the sched task, I've added the 'RunAsSet()' step to my script... but alas it will not run 'un attended'... I've even tried leaving my session open via terminal server - script doesn't run until I log back into the active session.

am I barking up the wrong tree?

"I drank what???" - Socrates

My assumption would be that the application you are trying to run requires a "console" to attach to because it is presuming an interactive, visual environment to run in. If you think about GUI-based applications, they are not stand-alone applications per-se. They expect to run in the presence of a window manager (that controls the "chrome" and provides many external interfaces). When you try to run an application like this in "batch mode" it doesn't have any of that... it is not like DOS commands running in a .bat file.

This is why Windows Script Host has both a Cscript and Wscript interface... one is command-line oriented, the other GUI window oriented.

There may be ways to pull this off with Citrix, Terminal Services, VMWare or Virtual Server but I have not seen them.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

I rollout out an AutoIt scheduled task script to 3000 machines within my organization using Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) and had a 100% success rate. It required using the BETA but I was confident that my 2 weeks of testing had flushed out all of the bugs. The script was setup to delete Outlook 97, 98, 200, and 2003 nickname files and turned the nickname option off for all Outlook versions while the Exchange team combined two organizations and modified the users display names. The payload file was installed using the attached script and then referenced in the creation of the scheduled tasks.

I've shared it out on the forums before and have been told that it thows errors....but it works just find in my environment. It works with the 119 version of the BETA as well, I just tested it.

Let me know if it's helpful,

Scooby

** not sure it this is an issue or not but the scheduled tasks run as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM **

SchTask.au3

Edited by Scooby