Deploy autoit via Zenworks?

I would like to learn AutoIT and use it with Zenworks for Desktops to help manage the PCs I support. I was wondering what the best / easiest way to deploy autoit via zenworks would be. Should I just get the zip file, unzip to a directory on my server and reference that dir, or should I push that directory out to all my workstations? If I do push it out, what else has to be done other than putting the files on the desktops? Will the PATH have to be amended? Will I have to register any file extensions? Thanks for the help.

If I may suggest: I think you'd be happier compiling scripts to EXEs and distributing those rather than distributing the AutoIt EXE and uncompiled scripts. This would remove any concerns about PATH and file association, as well as the pitfall of having possibly edit-able AU3 files at the workstation.

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

I would like to learn AutoIT and use it with Zenworks for Desktops to help manage the PCs I support. I was wondering what the best / easiest way to deploy autoit via zenworks would be. Should I just get the zip file, unzip to a directory on my server and reference that dir, or should I push that directory out to all my workstations? If I do push it out, what else has to be done other than putting the files on the desktops? Will the PATH have to be amended? Will I have to register any file extensions? Thanks for the help.

One of the features of AutoIT is that there are no runtimes, installation subroutines or wizards, or added files to be distributed with the compiled versions of your code. Yes, you do need to install it on your development machine, but not on any of the machines your final compiled executable will be deployed to. AutoIT can be made aware of the environment it is being deployed in, extracting paths and system variables to accommodate most contingencies. Try it - you'll wonder how you ever managed without it!

The help file is one of the better ones out there - covers most things in sufficient detail and is smothered in examples. There are tutorials also on this forum that you can attempt to become familiar with the product. Support on this forum is second to none.

Best bet: Try to solve a real world issue with it and you will quickly discover how powerful it can be.

1. Make a ZENworks application to distribute the autoIt3.exe to your workstations; probably %*WINSYSDIR%

2. Write your autoit code locally and test it.

3. Make another ZENworks application and paste the code in one of the script functions. Point the script engine to the atuoIt3.exe and use .au3 as extension.

4. Run the ZENworks application on a test machine. It will work.

Benefits of this method:

- No need to compile the code and distribute the exe files

- Simply manage your code in eDirectory

- Modifications are available just in time (you may refresh NAL)

- You can use ZENworks variables in your code

Think about it!