Need suggestions on a strange problem

I am doing an install script that has allot of reboots involved. It is designed for a specific PC build so the hardware and O/S load are always known at the start.

The script is working fine generally but the harware target has a bit of a problem. Occasionally after a reboot the target pcs will come up running extremely slow. This can cause the normal 1/2 hour install scripts to take up to 4 hours.

Anyone have any ideas on ways I might programmatically see if the PC is stuck in this slow mode. I plan to let it keep rebooting itself until the issue resolves. I just need a way to determine the mode and I haven't been able to come up with anything that works.

I am doing an install script that has allot of reboots involved. It is designed for a specific PC build so the hardware and O/S load are always known at the start.

The script is working fine generally but the harware target has a bit of a problem. Occasionally after a reboot the target pcs will come up running extremely slow. This can cause the normal 1/2 hour install scripts to take up to 4 hours.

Anyone have any ideas on ways I might programmatically see if the PC is stuck in this slow mode. I plan to let it keep rebooting itself until the issue resolves. I just need a way to determine the mode and I haven't been able to come up with anything that works.

You're going to have to find out why it's slow first. Any chance you triggered a full virus scan with high priority, or something like that? What do you see Task manager and the event logs when it's running slow, etc.?

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

It is odd as the machine is not connected to the internet at the time these installs are done. It only some time occurs. The event log has some information popups that are not real helpful.

In anycase at this point a reboot and retry seems to be sufficient.

Ok I figured it out.

I start outlook express and then wait for the first window. If I don't see it in 2 seconds I am in slowmo mode!

:D

Well, OK... :(

But WHY are you in "slowmo mode"? Wouldn't it be better to figure that out and fix/avoid it in the first place? :)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law