De-Compile CHM help files.

GEOSoft

If you ever have to de-compile a CHM file for any reason then thiis script should do it. I use it to customize help files and to do things like change the default page to open to. I also just used it to decompile the AutoIt help file for spell checking and then recompiled it. The newest feature (modify the TOC file for use as a web help TOC) is only half completed. Right now it will make the changes to the TOC so that it can be purged ( I have another script for that) and used to create the expandible list. Later it will actually create the web help TOC page much like what you see here

http://dundats.mvps.org/autoit/

The problem with this page is that it uses Javascript. The new version won't.

If you have the HTML Help Workshop installed you can modify the project and re-compile it.

Download the HTML workshop from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

If the Help workshop is installed and IF you use the installer package included in the zip then DeCompile will be added to the context menu for CHM files. That's when it gets really handy. Just right click a CHM file and choose "Decompile".

The Decompiler is at

http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/index.php?act=list&op=get&target=GEOSoft%2FDeCpl_CHM.zip

I'm shelving further work on this for a couple of weeks since I have too much on the go right now. I'll post back when I make another update.

Enjoy

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Nice Job,

I am only wondering why the introduction pad indicate .125 version and the history stop at .124.

Is there an incoherency somewhere in the process? :D

Thanks jpm.

I probably just moved the wrong History file but I will have a look at it. BTW I just changed the menu on the online help page. I finally have the web help TOC generator working. Unfortunatly the style sheet generator needs some work to be compatible with Mozilla browsers. The menu looks good in IE but the horizontal positioning of <li>'s shifts right. Any way the menu I just changed was generated using AutoIt abd I mentioned that at the bottom of the menu and I'm going to add a link directed at the AutoIt3 page. If you don't see the generated by AutoIt line then you may have to refresh your browser.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

The history file was just a matter of not updating my base file so that's fixed. And the problem with the web help TOC builder is fixed. I just forgot to add one line in the CSS_Build() function to make the styles Mozilla compatible..

George

@GEOSoft

I am looking forward to see the new layout of the Helpfile, as well as the webbased one.

Keep up the good work !!

Slow down a bit.

Just because I submitted a change for the TOC file doesn't mean it will be accepted. :D

As for the web-based version it's up and running.

George

Slow down a bit.

Just because I submitted a change for the TOC file doesn't mean it will be accepted. :D

As for the web-based version it's up and running.

Hey that looks great !!

At least the structure looks more logically organised. (Just had a brief look)

I just started experimenting with CHM files.

How do you convert the CHM to a Web-based version ?

Hey that looks great !!

I wrote a script to do it. But the first thing you have to do is extract the files and then convert the hhc file to a form that my web builder will be able to use. Right now I'm actually using 2 scripts, my CHM decompiler which takes care of the steps above and the Web builder script to actaully convert everything to work on the site. It also has to build the CSS files and the main frame.

George

Hey that looks great !!

I think I have most of the bugs out now so by tomorrow I should have the two scripts combined. Right click a CHM file to build a web page. Could be downright handy at times. :D

George