more gui problems

Guest s_mack

Guest s_mack

Documentation seems quite broken - understandable considering its not in release.

A lot of the examples won't run as written (must due to variables being used and not declared relating to styles... and include missing?)

Anyway... the "tab" control is confusing me. There's reference to "tabitem" (although its not listed as a control type) but no mention of how its used. At least not where I'm looking :D

Any help? Thanks.

Guest s_mack

actually... i don't think i'll be needing the answer, but it would probably still be helpful to others to post it.

I think I'll be able to work it out using the fantastic tool by (I think) CyberSlug called AutoIt Builder (search for "builder" on this forum to locate - try to find latest build).

It allowed me to make a form with tabs and examine the code - very slick. What I like about it really is that its not outputting super-complex code (which I was expecting) but fairly simple stuff that allows me to trace the syntax.

I'm not sure how CS figured it all out :D but for now this should be a great learning tool. Thanks!

Documentation seems quite broken - understandable considering its not in release.

A lot of the examples won't run as written (must due to variables being used and not declared relating to styles... and include missing?)

please be more specific, which example does not run?

I continually go over the help file looking for mistakes and things that might be worded better.

The examples are designed to be simple, a starting block of sorts. Feel free to test it out, and if you run into snags. There are a lot of us eager to help.

Edited by scriptkitty

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

GUI, Graphical User Interface.

The unstable has a very customisable GUI, so you can put in pictures, buttons, text boxes, and a lot more.

...edit.

As opposed to the standard gui we have in the released version. GUI objects would be tooltip(), Msgbox(), Inputbox(), splashtext(), etc. Although tooltip, splashtext, and traytip are more of only a display.

I had also posted some interm solutions by using Internet explorer in Kiosk mode with a HTML GUI. Search scripts and scraps if it has any interest to you. With the new GUI, it has many more features and options than my HTML :D .

Edited by scriptkitty

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

Anyway... the "tab" control is confusing me.  There's reference to "tabitem" (although its not listed as a control type) but no mention of how its used. At least not where I'm looking :D

Same thing here. I like what I see so far, but there are a few things I am trying to grasp.

It seems that there isn't much you can do style-wise with Input boxes, unless I am missing something.

What is the line of code I would use to make an input box work so that the contents cannot be edited? What about for making it use a password mask so the characters are replaced with something like a '*'?

This is how I made a Tab:

$tabControl = GUISetControl ('Tab', '', $TabControlLeft, $TabControlTop, $TabControlWidth, $TabControlHeight )

$tabItemUserData = GUISetControl ( 'TabItem', 'User Data', $TabControlLeft, $TabControlTop + 10 )

Those variables are all ones I made up, BTW.

• Administrators

@jon: how did you solve the problem with the tab-background-color? did you solve it?

New to this gui stuff... What problem? :D

I recoded a lot of the message handling - it may have subtly affected things.

• Administrators

What about for making it use a password mask so the characters are replaced with something like a '*'?

Use "$ES_PASSWORD" as the style in the GuiSetControl function.

Edit: And $ES_READONLY for a read only edit control.

Edited by Jon

Use "$ES_PASSWORD" as the style in the GuiSetControl function.

Edit: And $ES_READONLY for a read only edit control.

I figured out the $ES_PASSWORD thing right after I posted that message. Thanks for the tip no the Readonly thingy. I missed that. Maybe I have a slightly out-of-date copy of v3.0.102 or something, but even though I keep reading through the Help file I can't come up with enough code that is complicated enough to explain to me how some of the GUI stuff works. I understand that it is still being worked on, so I am not complaining.

The one thing that is still confusing to me is how you handle buttons and the onclick event. I assume it has something to do with GUIRecvMsg and GUISendMsg.

Say I have a button with the handle "butOpenNotepad" and one called "butClose" (hee hee)

I want "notepad.exe" to run whenever I press the button "butOpenNotepad"..

I want the whole script to exit when I press "butClose".

So far whenever I play with a button it only closes the whole script.

@jon: here I see still the tab-problem that jpm couldn't solve at the moment: the background-color behind all tab-items.

I mean the lightgrey background, here is an old sample from jpm:

Posted Image

So, I can't see it in your sample file...hmmm...however...

It was only a question :D

The tab color (And all the other color handling stuff) may be related to Windows XP and the manifest file to use the new Visual Styles. I've seen some stuff about using the new Visual Style producing the color problems JP has mostly worked around. The "real" solution might be using some of the UXTheme functions to make things work (Which means lots of dynamic calls into the DLL to maintain compatibility with Pre-XP). I didn't read any of the articles, however, as they weren't what I was searching for at the time, and if I remember, the article about the tab control was for C# (Read: .NET) and the other may have been MFC.

Hmmm...I will ask jpm maybe in 1 week.

At the moment I don't use tabs so its not so important for me, but maybe for others...

The problem exists in Win98se too.

And, I have problems to run a compiled exe on an os without autoit (win98se).

Don't know at the moment.

There is an "AutoIt Error" with message "Unable to open the script file".

Will test it on friday.

See you and good night... :D

Guest s_mack

Yeesh... I wasn't subscribed to the post (should auto-subscribe if I start the post, no?) so I didn't seen any of your replies until now.

Re: the help file. Yeah, I figured it was a inclusion I was missing... but then shouldn't that be in the help examples?

I mean... when there's an example (supposed to be simple so people can learn), it should work 100% with a simple copy, paste, save, run. As those examples don't include the code to include whatever needs to be included it generates an error when run. And an error for someone trying to learn (which is pretty much anyone looking at examples in a help file) can be very confusing and discouraging.

Now... I suppose that there may be more stuff that should be included or declared or described... and maybe its too bulky and repetitive to put in EVERY help example. If that's the case... what about having a help example template that has something of an "insert example here". Just thinking.

I figured out what the problem was... but I haven't figured out a solution beyond replacing the "undeclared variables" with their numeric equivalents. I know how to include, but I don't know what to include.

Thanks all!

ps. Is there a timeframe for a final release? I mean... are we years/months/weeks/days/hours/minutes/seconds/already done away?