Decompiling scripts

Hi guys,

I probably know the answer to this question as I know that if a script isn't supposed to be decompiled then it should be left that way. I'm hoping that maybe someone will see why I'm still asking this....

I am working at an IT help desk and we have some scripts set up for when the computer is first sent to us from IBM. We run the updated script and it does what we need it to do. I have been trying to modify that script to set backgrounds and start menu options and so on, but none of the changes seem to be registering. I know I am entering the right registry keys.

I recently became aware of another AutoIt script that is on all of our images and runs every time a user logs on. This program seems to reverse most of the changes that my script makes back to the original settings after I run it and restart. The script on the image is about 5 years old and my boss and co-workers are trying to modify it. The problem is that when the person who wrote the script compiled it, I think he set it not to allow decompilation or he mistyped the password. We have talked to him a few times and hes given us all the passwords that he thinks it could possibly be and we are still not able to decompile it.

We don't want to have to delete the file from our image because we still need some of the things that it does to be run. Would it be at all possible for someone to PM me how to decompile it without the password?

If no one will do this I understand completely and I guess we will just have to deal with it.

• Moderators

5yrs old? It's not an Au3.exe then, and the standard decompiler that comes with AutoIt is for Au3.exe(s) if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, then it's no wonder then that the password decompilation option wouldn't work :D .

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

HI,

maybe you could upload the file and then we'll whether there is a way. :D

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Why not just make a new one?

We can't make a new one because the person who wrote it is no longer with the company and no one here now knows how to make it do what it does. Some things arent very noticable, it would take a long time to search around for what it changes and rewrite it.

5yrs old? It's not an Au3.exe then, and the standard decompiler that comes with AutoIt is for Au3.exe(s) if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, then it's no wonder then that the password decompilation option wouldn't work :D .

I'm not 100% sure if its that old, but it might not be. I know that other scripts written by that person were in AutoIt v2 so this one may be as well im not sure.

As for uploading the file, I could do it tomorrow, I'm at home right now and I don't have access to it. If one of you are able to get the source code from this .exe when I upload it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, even if a decompile were possible, if this program is old, then wouldn't it have been compiled with an older version of AutoIt? Also, if it were compiled with an older version of AutoIt, wouldn't you also have to use the appropriate decompiler for that version? I know that in order to compile older scripts with AutoIt you have to convert them to the current format or it won't work.

Just a thought,

Nomad :D

...I'm not 100% sure if its that old, but it might not be. I know that other scripts written by that person were in AutoIt v2 so this one may be as well im not sure...

Right mouse click on the exe, select Properties and then the Version tab.

The "File version:" should show what version of AutoIt was used to compile the script.

Some history can be found on this page:

http://www.autoitscript.com/AutoIt/

AutoIt v3 released. (29th Feb, 2004)

Website look updated (no frames, no java) (28th Mar, 2003)

Added French help file for AutoIt v2.64 (28th Dec, 2002)

Added German help file for AutoIt v2.64 (28th Dec, 2002)

AutoIt v2.64 released (18th Dec, 2002) (History)

AutoItDLL v1.11 released (18th Dec, 2002)

AutoItX v1.51 released (18th Dec, 2002)

You can download v2.64 from here:

http://www.autoitscript.com/AutoIt/downloads.php

... and run exe2aut

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

We can't make a new one because the person who wrote it is no longer with the company and no one here now knows how to make it do what it does. Some things arent very noticable, it would take a long time to search around for what it changes and rewrite it.

If you find you can't decompile it, it may be worth looking at Regmon/Filemon while the script is running to see most of the stuff its doing and it should be fairly easy to re-do these in AU3

Well I checked the version history and the file was an AutoIt v3 file like I thought it was. Although, it turns out that one of our older images had a version on it that was not password protected. Thanks anyways guys!

Edited by BPBNA

:D no fun 4 us ...

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times