SMART drive Analysis

ptrex

To bring everyone up to date. I made a couple more changes that I hope will get rid of the floppy run problem. The issue here seems to be one of it not behaving the same on all systems. My floppy drive never runs with the script but it never has since the beginning. I made the changes based on what I thought might be causing it and if I'm wrong then I'm stopping right here. I've uploaded the au3 file this time instead of posting it.

Smart_Analysis.zip

I've also updated the online exe file

Smart Drive Analysis

Let me know the results.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

The floppy problem has been plaguing many people, isn't there a way to identify it easily like 'FIXED', 'REMOVABLE' and something like that?

That doesn't work. It is already passing just a fixed drive. The problem lies in the WMI and that's what I think I may have ironed out but I'm not sure.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

@GEOSoft

Thanks for the persistance on solving the problem.

I can't test it (no floppy drive around).

I hope someone else can give feedback.

regards,

ptrex

No real persistace involved here. If I feel like working on it I do, otherwise it just gets ignored. I have not actually been feeling up to doing much code at all for a while now. For feedback all people should have to do is run the exe file from the server (second link) and they will know whats happening and then hopefully post back here. I can see where most people won't worry about floppy issues because they are quickly becoming a thing of the past unless you want to run an external one. I just don't understand why it doen't behave the same on all systems that have floppies installed.

George

@GEOSoft

There are still much floppy drives available in computers..

and if you want to update the harddisk temperature .. you don't want the sound, the floppy makes when it's accessed ..

Maybe WMI is not the right way to check the harddisk temperature..

Edited by Emiel Wieldraaijer

Best regards,Emiel Wieldraaijer

@GEOSoft

There are still much floppy drives available in computers..

and if you want to update the harddisk temperature .. you don't want the sound, the floppy makes when it's accessed ..

Maybe WMI is not the right way to check the harddisk temperature..

Lots of possibilities Emiel but I don't see where harddisk temperature would be much affected (if at all) by the fact that the floppy drives quickly checks to see if a disk is inserted and more particularily by the sound it makes.

Have you tried the newest release?

Analyzer

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Off course still check the floppy drive

Thanks Emiel.

I'll take another look when I get a chance.

George

• 5 months later...

Hi George,

Very neat script...I've never had a drive fail with a SMART error but the coding alone is very interesting to look through.

One question?

I tried running your app under Vista and it says my drive may not be SMART compatible even though I think it is. Do you have any idea what parts of your script may need to be modified to allow for Vista support?

If this is a stupid question, please ignore.

Thanks,

-Mike

Hi George,

Very neat script...I've never had a drive fail with a SMART error but the coding alone is very interesting to look through.

One question?

I tried running your app under Vista and it says my drive may not be SMART compatible even though I think it is. Do you have any idea what parts of your script may need to be modified to allow for Vista support?

Thanks,

-Mike

I've had drives report the same thing although it is rare. It seems that some drives can be read even when S.M.A.R.T is disabled in BIOS and some can't. As far as I know it does work in Vista but Vista issues belong to someone else. Also the credit for the reporting part of this script goes to ptrex. I just added the GUI and made a couple of mods to his code to solve a couple of problems.

I have an executable version on one of my web sites that the user can run from the server and no one has reported any problems with it although I am sure that others have had the same report as you showed.

George

Hi George,

One question?

Thanks,

-Mike

I've had drives report the same thing although it is rare. It seems that some drives can be read even when S.M.A.R.T is disabled in BIOS and some can't. As far as I know it does work in Vista but Vista issues belong to someone else. Also the credit for the reporting part of this script goes to ptrex. I just added the GUI and made a couple of mods to his code to solve a couple of problems.

I have an executable version on one of my web sites that the user can run from the server and no one has reported any problems with it although I am sure that others have had the same report as you showed.

George

Thank youy very much for the reply and the pointer to ptrex as the developer.

Since my post I have dug into the script a bit and am trying to understand how it works.

After re-reading the whole post I found that THIS version of the script works just fine on my vista box. So I'm trying to look at the differences, other than the GUI, between the two scripts (the one linked above and the one off your website) to see what I can modify.

Again, thank you for your reply!

-Mike

Thank youy very much for the reply and the pointer to ptrex as the developer.

Since my post I have dug into the script a bit and am trying to understand how it works.

After re-reading the whole post I found that THIS version of the script works just fine on my vista box. So I'm trying to look at the differences, other than the GUI, between the two scripts (the one linked above and the one off your website) to see what I can modify.

Again, thank you for your reply!

-Mike

Let me know if you find anything and I will revisit the script. Also I'm bad for not mentioning the large part that Chris played in the script.

George

• 3 weeks later...

Let me know if you find anything and I will revisit the script. Also I'm bad for not mentioning the large part that Chris played in the script.

AH HA!!!!

Ok, after poking at "your" script, I understand that others had a huge part in it. I found the following line (418).

If $objItem.MediaType <> "Fixed hard disk media" then Return -1

I bet you can already see the issue...for some reason Vista does not like the space between "Fixed and hard".

I removed the space:

and what the heck do you know...the app now works in Vista as well.

Have a great day!

-Mike (The master space finder) :)

AH HA!!!!

Ok, after poking at "your" script, I understand that others had a huge part in it. I found the following line (418).

I bet you can already see the issue...for some reason Vista does not like the space between "Fixed and hard".

I removed the space:

and what the heck do you know...the app now works in Vista as well.

Have a great day!

-Mike (The master space finder) :)

Thanks Mike. I can fix that a different way and I'll try to get to it later today. And you are correct It was not my script. I just made a few changes and added the GUI.

George

@mdwerne

Hi Mike. On checking into this, that line does not even appear in my file so I don't know what file you are refering to. Regardless of that here is a better fix that will make it compatable with all versions

;
If NOT StringRegExpr($objItem.MediaType, "(?i)Fixed\s+hard\s+disk\s+media") Then Return -1
;

George

Hi GEOSoft,

Hi Mike. On checking into this, that line does not even appear in my file so I don't know what file you are refering to. Regardless of that here is a better fix that will make it compatable with all versions

;
If NOT StringRegExpr($objItem.MediaType, "(?i)Fixed\s+hard\s+disk\s+media") Then Return -1
;
It does appear in the source of the file in the post:

Replaced it with above mention SRE and it works fine for me.

Best Regards

Hi GEOSoft,

It does appear in the source of the file in the post:

Replaced it with above mention SRE and it works fine for me.

Best Regards

I don't kno why my first text search failed because now I have located it at Line 464 on the latest version. I think I'll go through that file soon and do some more checking and probably replace some more with RegExps. In most cases those results used in the code would have been copied from the clipboard because that is quite often part of my test routine. ClipPut(ClipGet() & @CRLF &$objItem.MediaType)

George

The fix has been completed and the new zip file uploaded to my site.

Source and compiled version

No way of proving it but that fix may also have solved the floppy issue. It does solve a situation where some drives reported as possibly not SMART capable when I in fact knew they were.

George

Tried to compile the source:

WARNING: $Col_w1: possibly used before declaration.oÝ÷ Ù©ÝjÛazÚ)¶«z+ºÚ"µÍ[ÈÐÛÛ

without content and EndFunc. Guess you deleted some code by accident :).

Best Regards