Running Script w/ Linux/Unix w/ Autoit

Is it possible to run window scrips with Linux/Unix?

Basically i want to run a test script where i do some mouse clicking also entering some text here and there. I can program it in windows, but i have yet tried running it in the linux/unix enviroment. If it is not possible, i was wondering if there was another program out there that works exactly like autoit.

Edited by Mido

HI,

I would go along with Perl.

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Is it possible to run window scrips with Linux/Unix?

Basically i want to run a test script where i do some mouse clicking also entering some text here and there. I can program it in windows, but i have yet tried running it in the linux/unix enviroment. If it is not possible, i was wondering if there was another program out there that works exactly like autoit.

Depends on what you want to do with it. I have run AutoIT3 and SciTe under WINE on SUSE 10. It works, even doing registry read/writes, but it's a little buggy if you do more than basics, and you are still in a Win32 API environment.

The equivelent to the DOS batch file in *nix is a shell script, but with MUCH more capability. From there you move up to scripting languages like Perl and PHP, maybe Java.

I don't know how well you could script GUI functions of other programs in Linux (which is AutoIT's big deal, to me) because, as I understand it (vaguely), the messages between processes and their windows, or the keyboard/mouse I/O devices, are not as easily open to interception and redirection as in Windows. This being one of the big security advantages of *nix, it also makes it harder to have one program push another's buttons for scripting purposes. The desktop window manager APIs associated with GNOME or KDE might give you an opening to do some of that, with the proper rights, I'm not sure.

What you don't find nearly as much in *nix apps is things that HAVE to be done in a GUI. For most things, including application installation, file copying and editing some text-based config files gets it done.

Smarter people than me may disagree with everything I said... they often do! :D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law