.NET DLL Call Trouble

I have a DLL I created in Microsoft's Visual Studio .NET 2003, called DBInsert.dll

I am trying to use AutoIt's DLLCall () to run one of the func's in the .dll

Here's my simple autoIt Code

$dll = DLLOpen ( "D:\Automation\DBInsert\DBInsert\bin\Release\DBInsert.dll" )
If $dll = -1 then
    MsgBox ( 16 , "AutoIt" , "DLL Open Failed" )
    exit
endIf

$XMLFile = "C:\Documents and Settings\tmakruck\Desktop\04-28-2006 1-26PM.xml"
$Return = DLLCall ( $dll , "str" , "UpdateDatabase" , "str" , $XMLFile )
If @Error then 
    MsgBox ( 16 , "AutoIt" , "DLL Call Failed with Error level " & @Error )
    exit
EndIf

msgbox(0, "", $result[0])  ; Record Number (Returned from UpdateDatabase)
msgbox(0, "", $result[1])  ; Should return the filename in XMLFile

the AutoIt Code runs down to the MsgBox ( 16 , "AutoIt" , "DLL Call Failed with Error level " & @Error ) then exits, as it should since I apparently am not calling the func in the dll correctly.

The reason I'm using the dll, rather than trying to ObjCreate ("ADODB.Connection" ) and continuing on with autoIt commands from there, is that I currently have a .NET GUI that makes a call to that dll and it works fine, and has been for over a year. Currently, AutoIt drives that GUI app.

Now that I finally got approval from the powers that be (management) to use the beta, I figured it should be an easy plug and play solution to just DLLCall the same function in AutoIt.

Here's basically what the func in the dll looks like, in C# code. I've taken some of our code out for your readability, but there should still be enough for you to get the gist

// DBInsert.cs -> Compiled to DBInsert.dll
using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Data.SqlClient;
using System.Xml;
namespace LaptopConfig
{
  // Trust Me This Code Works. I've been using it for a year.
  public class DatabaseControls
  {
    // Below is the func I'm Calling. UpdateDatabase, with one String Parameter. This is a complete path and filename.
    public static string UpdateDatabase (string xdocName)
    {
      XmlDocument xdoc = new XmlDocument();
      xdoc.Load(xdocName);

string connectionString = "Data Source=SCCLAB14;Initial Catalog=Automation;User ID=LaptopConfig;Password=autotest";
      SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(connectionString);
      conn.Open();
      SqlTransaction    tran = conn.BeginTransaction();
      try
      {
        string projectName = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/projectname").InnerText;
        string appName = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/testname").InnerText;
        string machineName = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/machinename").InnerText;
        string testDuration = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/duration").InnerText;
        string testResult = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/finalresult").InnerText;
        string testSteps = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/automatedsteps").InnerText;
        string testDateTime = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/testdatetime").InnerText;
        string testStepsFailed = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/numstepsfailed").InnerText;
        string testerID = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/testerid").InnerText;
        string ClaimNumber = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/claimnumber").InnerText;
        string PullDuration = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("/FullReport/MachineSummary/pullduration").InnerText;//.InnerText;
        if (PullDuration==null) PullDuration = "";
        string sql = "INSERT INTO dtLaptopTestSummary "
          +"(ProjectName, ApplicationName, MachineName, TestDateTime, "
          +"TestResult, TestDuration, TestSteps, TestStepsFailed, "
          +"TesterID, ClaimNumber, PullDuration) "
          +"values "
          +"(@ProjectName, @AppName, @MachineName, @TestDateTime, "
          +"@TestResult, @TestDuration, @TestSteps, @TestStepsFailed, "
          +"@TesterID, @ClaimNumber, @PullDuration)"
          +"; SELECT @@IDENTITY";
        SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn, tran);
        // Use cmd2.Parameters.Add(....) to finish building the SQL. TRUST ME IT WORKS with my .NET GUI
        // continue making parameters for all @'s
        //cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
        int testId = decimal.ToInt32((decimal)cmd.ExecuteScalar());

foreach (XmlNode detailNode in xdoc.SelectNodes("/FullReport/teststeps/Record"))
        {
          string conditionNumber = detailNode.SelectSingleNode("tcnumber").InnerText;
          string conditionAction = detailNode.SelectSingleNode("action").InnerText;
          string conditionResult = detailNode.SelectSingleNode("result").InnerText;
          string conditionResultDetail = detailNode.SelectSingleNode("description").InnerText;

// get the other sub nodes
          string sql2 = "insert into dtLaptopTestDetail (TestID, ConditionNumber, ConditionAction, ConditionResult, ConditionResultDetail) values (@TestID, @ConditionNumber, @ConditionAction, @ConditionResult, @ConditionResultDetail)";
          SqlCommand cmd2 = new SqlCommand(sql2, conn, tran);
          // Use cmd2.Parameters.Add(....) to finish building the SQL. TRUST ME IT WORKS with my .NET GUI
          // continue making parameters for all @'s
          cmd2.ExecuteNonQuery();
        }
        tran.Commit();
        conn.Close();
        return testId.ToString();
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
        tran.Rollback();
        conn.Close();
        return (e.Message + Environment.NewLine + e.StackTrace);
      }
    }
  }
}

Thanks!

Todd

I don't know if this will fix or help you with your problem, but this is what I found when I created a .Net control for use with the ObjCreate AutoIt function:

.Net does not support COM, unless special COM classes are added in, or a COM compatible project is created. Search through the MSDN help for COM and you will find more info. I found it easier to create a new project with built in COM support.

I still could not get .Net events to work with the control, so I created a VB6 control that acted as a wrapper for the .Net control. This way I cound pass through the data easily. Not the best solution, but it worked.

Hope this helps somewhat. I did this about 6 months ago, so it is a bit faded from my memory now.

Checkout the Debugger link in my sig for that actual VB6/.Net/AutoIt project that I worked on. The source is on my website.

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.

I don't know if this will fix or help you with your problem, but this is what I found when I created a .Net control for use with the ObjCreate AutoIt function:

.Net does not support COM, unless special COM classes are added in, or a COM compatible project is created. Search through the MSDN help for COM and you will find more info. I found it easier to create a new project with built in COM support.

I still could not get .Net events to work with the control, so I created a VB6 control that acted as a wrapper for the .Net control. This way I cound pass through the data easily. Not the best solution, but it worked.

Hope this helps somewhat. I did this about 6 months ago, so it is a bit faded from my memory now.

Checkout the Debugger link in my sig for that actual VB6/.Net/AutoIt project that I worked on. The source is on my website.

i'd love to see your sorce, but i'm getting a 404 not found when i click the link in your other post...

i'd love to see your sorce, but i'm getting a 404 not found when i click the link in your other post...

Try it now. Changed web hosts and it appears that it is now case sensitive!

“Give a man a script; you have helped him for today. Teach a man to script; and you will not have to hear him whine for help.”AutoIt4UE - Custom AutoIt toolbar and wordfile for UltraEdit/UEStudio users.AutoIt Graphical Debugger - A graphical debugger for AutoIt.SimMetrics COM Wrapper - Calculate string similarity.