can autoit read from .txt files?

I'm looking to make a script that will execute a command if the text CMGW is found in a .txt file. Can autoit read information from text files? Also i'd need help with setting up a variable based on the information found in the text file. For example if the text file reads CMGW=963 i'd need to make the script aware that 963 is a variable that i'll need to use later and not just a stated value. Thanks!

Edited by sonicxtacy02

Look at commands:

FileRead

FileReadLine

IniRead

I looked at those and while they do read from the file they cant search for specific text within the file. I want the script to read from a programs log file that gets updated in real time. I need the script to continuously check for the text "CMGW=". If the text is found, a command is run. The text isnt going to be in the same place everytime the file is read so i cant specify a section or line of the file to read.

StringInStr() the variable that has what FileRead outputs, in a loop.

AutoIt Scripts:Aimbot: Proof of Concept - PixelSearching Aimbot with several search/autoshoot/lock-on techniques.Sliding Toolbar - Add a nice Sliding Toolbar to your next script. Click the link to see an animation of it in action!FontInfo UDF - Get list of system fonts, or search to see if a particular font is installed.Get Extended Property UDF - Retrieve a files extended properties (e.g., video/image dimensions, file version, bitrate of song/video, etc)

First off, welcome to the forums.

Second, please read the help file.

After you use one of the functions mentioned above, you still have to process the file.

You'll probably need StringInStr(), While/Wend, and Run()/RunWait().

Good luck!

[font="Tahoma"]"Tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties"[/font]

First off, welcome to the forums.

Second, please read the help file.

After you use one of the functions mentioned above, you still have to process the file.

You'll probably need StringInStr(), While/Wend, and Run()/RunWait().

Good luck!

I appreciate the assistance. I understand loops and how to execute the command. I'm having trouble with the StringInStr section. I understand what it does, however i dont understand how to have the entire contents of the text file as the string (or if it really needs to be the entire file). This is what i have so far. I know the run command hasnt been added just tryin to take care of this section at a time

While ProcessExists("PhoneCTL.NET.exe")
    if FileExists("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        FileOpen("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        sleep(3000)
        fileread("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        StringInStr("CMGW=*","CMGW=*")
    Else
    EndIf
Wend

2 questions now. Can the string be the same as the substring? Lastly, will the * denote a wildcard and receive whatever integer thats behind the CMGW=?

Hi,

you only need to search for the text you are looking for ; no wildcards needed

if FileExists("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt") then
        $h_FileHandle=FileOpen("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
        $s_FileTextTotal=fileread($h_FileHandle); filename will owrk
        if StringInStr($s_FileTextTotal,"CMGW=") then MsgBox(0,"","'CMGW=' occurs in the text string from file read PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        fileclose($h_FileHandle)
    Else
    EndIf
Wend
Use the helpfile examples to base your script, and you won't miss the "then", the "fileclose", the handle name , the @error call, the string variable name etc!

Best, Randallc

Edited by randallc

Try opening a file handle and then assigning what was read to a variable, say

$filehandle=FileOpen("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt",0)

$var=fileread($filehandle)

then you need a condition to check for the string "CMGW=*" in the $var, such as

if StringInStr($var, "CMGW=*") then

code

endif

hope this helps

I appreciate the assistance. I understand loops and how to execute the command. I'm having trouble with the StringInStr section. I understand what it does, however i dont understand how to have the entire contents of the text file as the string (or if it really needs to be the entire file). This is what i have so far. I know the run command hasnt been added just tryin to take care of this section at a time

if FileExists("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        FileOpen("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        sleep(3000)
        fileread("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        StringInStr("CMGW=*","CMGW=*")
    Else
    EndIf
Wend

2 questions now. Can the string be the same as the substring? Lastly, will the * denote a wildcard and receive whatever integer thats behind the CMGW=?

Edited by ivan

i do need a wildcard. The actual text i need to search for will be "CMGW=****" where **** is 3-4 digit number. Each time CMGW= appears in the text file the value changes. This value is what actually NEEDS to be read because the run command will need to state this value. For instance, if CMGW=1144 my run command will need to send AT+CMSS=1144 to the phonecontrol program thru its remote interface. Once the value of CMGW is found i'm hoping to be able to make the value a variable. I'll try both methods suggested to see how well it reads the text i need. Thanks!

Edited by sonicxtacy02

hi,

Sorry, I missed that; you get the character pos frim (stringinstr) and then read the subsequent 3 or 4 chars (the checking will differ depending on where the 3 digits are if there are not 4!)

if FileExists("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt") then
        $h_FileHandle=FileOpen("C:\Program Files\Phonecontrol.NET\PhoneCtlLog.txt")
        If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
        $s_FileTextTotal=fileread($h_FileHandle); filename will owrk
        $location = StringInStr($s_FileTextTotal,"CMGW=")
        if $location then 
            $s_variable=stringmid($s_FileTextTotal,$location+5,4)
            if not IsNumber(StringRight($s_variable,1)) then $s_variable=stringmid($s_FileTextTotal,$location+5,3); check??
            $i_number=number($s_variable)
            MsgBox(0,"","'CMGW=' occurs in the text string from file read PhoneCtlLog.txt at character= "&$location)
            MsgBox(0,"","number derived from 4 characters after 'CMGW='"&$i_number)
            fileclose($h_FileHandle)
        EndIf
    Else
    EndIf
Wend
Randallc