Listing PST files under users profile

Hi There,

I am about to start working on a Outlook PST file migration. And have stumpped myself on researching the first step. I would like to be able to get a list of PST files that are connected to a given outlook profile on a PC.

I initially looked at scanning the drive for *.pst extensions. But get more info then required and causes a headache for machines with more then one user. If any one has some advice that would be great.

Thanks,

Jtsm

You say a given profile on a machine...if there are several profiles how are you deciding which one you want to use? Are these .pst used for Archiving or are they the actual data .pst (ie a non Exchange environment)?

Usually the .pst is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\.......can you not extract the data from there? If the users have located it elsewhere then you have a problem

Are you in a domain environment were you can run logon scripts?

This is the sort of things I've been doing recently so i can maybe help

[font='Comic Sans MS']Eagles may soar high but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines[/font]

You say a given profile on a machine...if there are several profiles how are you deciding which one you want to use? Are these .pst used for Archiving or are they the actual data .pst (ie a non Exchange environment)?

Usually the .pst is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\.......can you not extract the data from there? If the users have located it elsewhere then you have a problem

Are you in a domain environment were you can run logon scripts?

This is the sort of things I've been doing recently so i can maybe help

There are two ways to do it. You could search the whole drive for PST's.

If you really need to get only the PSTs associated with a specific profile, all Outlook profile settings are stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\ProfileName. All the information is in Hex though, so good luck extracting it I'm afraid.

Edited by Ravenlark

Ravenlark-----------------------------------------------------when you find yourself with the majority, its time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain

Thanks for the responses.

I've done alot or reading on this subject now.

env is domain network running outlook 2003. with a mixture of MS Archive folder locations, and scattered PSTs on fileservers and local drives. I'm putting together a script to actually bring this all into some resemblance of order.

i was unable to conduct a successfull PST migration using file and settings migration wizard (migwiz.exe). I've started testing with USMT Vx.

I tried using the profile data in hex. Although I can workout the keys involved, it is not a clean remove and reattach. And would confuse the user, if I used this method and explained to ignore the error messages it produces.

Alternately I will most likely have to stick with a drive seach and have the list pop up for the user. They can then select the PST files they think relates to them and have it move to the new file location. And use other methods to reattach the stores.

If I work out a way to list filestores for profiles. I'll be sure to post (I'll post my end script any way for anyone who is interested). I'm actually surprised there are not easier was of doing this, short of paying some big bucks for KVS or Kvault.

Thanks,

jtsm