Debug Output

Is there a way to add a function to the begining of a script so if it is halted it will output the error and line to a text file?

Hi,

what about:

#include <File.au3>

_FileWriteLog( $sLogPath, $sLogMsg )

or

TrayIconDebug If enabled shows the current script line in the tray icon tip to help debugging.

0 = no debug information (default)

1 = show debug

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

the tray only shows, basically i need to run a batch of scripts and have them output the error if there is any errors and then move on to the next script

Hmmh, I think then you have to do it o your own.

If @error = ... Then

MSgBox or _FileWriteLog and Run(next script)

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

I'm new to this, are you telling me i'd have to make an @error after every function to do what i want it to do? Anybody else have a better idea?

I do a lot of install scripts, and being able to QA what happened afterwards is critical. So I have spent some time thinking along the same lines. Lately I've been working with exhaustive logging to a text file as the script progresses. When things have gone wrong, it is usually very obvious what happened from the log file.

Here's how I've done it recently.

Get some standard code at the beginning of the script to set up logging:

#include <file.au3>
$LogFile = @ScriptDir & "\" & @ScriptName & _ & @YEAR & _ & @MON & _ & @DAY & "-" & @HOUR & @MIN  & ".log"
If Not _FileWriteLog($LogFile, "Initialized script from: " & @ScriptFullPath) Then
     MsgBox(16, "Error!", "Could not initialize log file!  Exiting...")
     Exit
EndIf

Then, wherever you want to monitor the status of something, like creating a directory, it looks like this:

$NewDir = "C:\MyFuncs\Profiles\" & @ComputerName
If FileExists($NewDir & "\")  Then
     _FileWriteLog($LogFile, "Profile already exists at: " & $NewDir)
Else
     If DirCreate($NewDir) Then
          _FileWriteLog($LogFile, "Successfully created profile folder at: " & $NewDir)
     Else
          _FileWriteLog($LogFile, "Error occured creating profile folder at: " & $NewDir)
     EndIf
EndIf

The resulting log file tells you exactly how things went, and the automatic date/time stamping of _FileWriteLog() even gives you metrics on how long things are taking.

Read the help file. What you need to do is read up in the help file on how status is returned from each function you use. In the above example I know that DirCreate() returns 1 for success and 0 for error. Some functions set @error to something instead or additionaly to provide more detailed errors. How to check results from the function depends on the individual function involved. Read the help file

One more thing... read the help file... :D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law