VLC Media Player

j_stam_84

Hi everybody,

I've created UDF's for embedding VLC into your applications...

It uses IE.au3 because the ActiveX component is embedded in HTML. I used this approach because

AutoIT crashes when you try to load it directly. This has already been discussed here

There are two zipfiles (old.zip/new.zip) attached. New.zip contains the "latest" version but there's a problem

with it crashing AutoIT a lot. Old.zip doesn't seem to have this problem.

Example is provided (vlc_obj.au3)

Let met know what you guys think!

Regards,

J. Stam

EDIT: 22 downloads and only 1 reply? :D at least explain why....

old.zipnew.zip

Edited by j_stam_84

Awesome. check them out today.

And, what do you think?! :D

I just really wish I could at least get an idea if its autoit or vlc causing the problems.

Btw old activeX versions of vlc do load, but methods fail.

Yeah, I'd like to know that too.

Awesome. check them out today.

I just really wish I could at least get an idea if its autoit or vlc causing the problems.

Btw old activeX versions of vlc do load, but methods fail.

I'm having this problem with the Sopcast activex as well.

So I think there may be problems on both ends.

Hi

Not sure if this may help you solve the problem: If not, then please ignore me!

Quote Taken from the VLC wiki

Foreseen evolutions

Fix VLC initialization on Win32 so that it uses the registry key to find the default plugins directory by default. Currently, it uses the vlc.exe path, which it cannot find when using VLC embedded. A workaround is to chdir to the vlc.exe directory before instanciating the MediaControl() object.

HardCopy

Contributions: UDF _DateYearFirstChildren are like Farts, you can just about stand your own.Why am I not a Vegetarian?...Well...my ancestors didn't fight & evolve to the Top of the food chain for me to survive on Salad

@Manadar

If you build this into a UDF with some extra functions. This could very well be a substitute for GUICtrlCreateAvi.

Yeah I should... actually, they're already UDF's... just not according to the syntax desired by the people here ;)

The only annoying thing is that you need to have VLC installed. Although it is possible (iirc) to compile the ActiveX object "standalone", you still need third party software. This makes it more of an "addon" actually :D. Besides that, it's WAY to unstable :(

[Edit] Did i mention this rocks?

@HardCopy

Fix VLC initialization on Win32 so that it uses the registry key to find the default plugins directory by default. Currently, it uses the vlc.exe path, which it cannot find when using VLC embedded. A workaround is to chdir to the vlc.exe directory before instanciating the MediaControl() object.

I've been reading the page you refer to (http://wiki.videolan.org/index.php/MediaControlAPI) and I think this isn't where the problem is. The MediaControlAPI they're talking about is different from the ActiveX control (if I understand it correctly :D). In this case, VLC has no problems playing media when embedded, it just crashes often when "probing" the object for data (e.g. position, total media length, etc.). To this point I haven't been able to crash it without probing the VLC object for data. Personally I think the problem originates within the ActiveX control but that's just my gut feeling :D

p.s. There are (to sum it up) a couple of strange issues regarding VLC ActiveX:

• The total length of a clip is floored (e.g. 1:36:04.567 becomes 1:36:04)

• I believe this is because VLC doesn't "know" about frames (I've read this *somewhere*....) so it uses some other way to calculate the total length of a file (I DO know it doesn't read it from the header of the file.....)

• To overcome this issue, when you request the elapsed time, the total length is fetched along with the current position in the stream (with a range from 0.0 to 1.0). When multiplied, the timecode returned is a bit more precise. Instead of whole seconds, it gives milliseconds aswell.. The major problem is that the total length returned by the object is rounded by the ActiveX object so there is a bit of inacurassy regarding the elapsed time when multiplied, but at least it's more accurate then the builtin function.... :)
  • AutoIT randomly crashes when playing

• I believe this is because the ActiveX component is extremely buggy... (see the VLC forum for this)
Edited by j_stam_84

P.S. I'm thinking about creating UDF's for extracting the headers from the binaries. This way it should be possible to extract total length (time) of the file along with information about frames etc. (and retrieve accurate info :D)... It shouldn't be too hard to do this (see http://www.fastgraph.com/help/avi_header_format.html for the header format in AVI files....).

Anybody with experience in binary formats that wants to warn me for something or give any tips ?:wacko:

Edited by j_stam_84