Please don't laugh! :)

Hello AutoIt scripters.

I am totaly new to AutoIt, and having a tiny problem, I guess all of you knows how to solve.

- It's making the MsgBox buttons respond to the users actions.

Example.. I've made a simple GUI and;

If GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then MsgBox(4, "GUI", "Are you sure you want to exit?")

You can probably figure out my question now;

- When the user clicks "No", the script continues and when the user clicks "Yes", the script closes.

Could someone please give me a short and simpel exampel of this?

-I appreciate it.

crz

Edited by crz

Steffen "crz" Jorgensenwww.crz.dkcrz@crz.dk

If GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then 
    $myreturn = MsgBox(4, "GUI", "Are you sure you want to exit?")
    if $myreturn = 6 Then;-> user clicked yes
        Exit 0
    endif
    if $myreturn = 7 Then;-> user clicked no
        DoSomethingOther()
    endif
endif

See Help File under MsgBox for other return values :D

Edited by McDope

crz,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :D

There are lots of great places to learn here.

Please try Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session

In the mean time, here is one way of doing what you asked.

taurus905

; Exit with Question Example.au3
#include <GUIConstants.au3>

GUICreate("Close this window.", 400, 200, -1, -1)

GUISetState()

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            $Answer = MsgBox(3, "Exit this program.", "Are you sure you want to quit?")
            Select
                Case $Answer = 6; Yes
                    MsgBox(0, "Your Answer:", "You selected Yes, so this program will end")
                    Exit
                Case $Answer = 7; No
                    MsgBox(0, "Your Answer:", "You selected No, so lets continue.")
                Case $Answer = 2; Cancel
                    MsgBox(0, "Your Answer:", "Your selected Cancel, so lets continue.")
            EndSelect
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit

"Never mistake kindness for weakness."-- Author Unknown --"The highest point to which a weak but experienced mind can rise is detecting the weakness of better men."-- Georg Lichtenberg --Simple Obfuscator (Beta not needed.), Random names for Vars and Funcs

crz,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :D

There are lots of great places to learn here.

Please try Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session

In the mean time, here is one way of doing what you asked.

taurus905

; Exit with Question Example.au3
#include <GUIConstants.au3>

GUICreate("Close this window.", 400, 200, -1, -1)

GUISetState()

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            $Answer = MsgBox(3, "Exit this program.", "Are you sure you want to quit?")
            Select
                Case $Answer = 6; Yes
                    MsgBox(0, "Your Answer:", "You selected Yes, so this program will end")
                    Exit
                Case $Answer = 7; No
                    MsgBox(0, "Your Answer:", "You selected No, so lets continue.")
                Case $Answer = 2; Cancel
                    MsgBox(0, "Your Answer:", "Your selected Cancel, so lets continue.")
            EndSelect
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit
Also, if you're only interested in one of the possible answers, you can get it in a single line with the MsgBox() statement:

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then
        If MsgBox(4+256, "Exit this program?", "Are you sure you want to quit?") = 6 Then Exit
    EndIf
WEndoÝ÷ Øýz-¢vwhÂÆèƸ ÙèÂÊßÙe«Þ¶kÊ+ej׫nëb¶;¬¶º·¶¶­Ù¢^½é𢹱«­¢+Ù]¡¥±Ä($ÀÌØíµÍôU%Ñ5Í ¤(%%ÀÌØíµÍôÀÌØíU%}Y9Q}
1=MQ¡¸%5Í    ½à ЬÈÔØ°ÅÕ½Ðíá¥ÐÑ¡¥ÌÁɽɴüÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐíÉå½ÔÍÕÉå½ÔݹÐѼÅÕ¥ÐüÅÕ½Ðì¤ôØQ¡¸á¥Ð)]¹

:wacko:

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Also, if you're only interested in one of the possible answers, you can get it in a single line with the MsgBox() statement:

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then
        If MsgBox(4+256, "Exit this program?", "Are you sure you want to quit?") = 6 Then Exit
    EndIf
WEndoÝ÷ Øýz-¢vwhÂÆèƸ ÙèÂÊßÙe«Þ¶kÊ+ej׫nëb¶;¬¶º·¶¶­Ù¢^½é𢹱«­¢+Ù]¡¥±Ä($ÀÌØíµÍôU%Ñ5Í ¤(%%ÀÌØíµÍôÀÌØíU%}Y9Q}
1=MQ¡¸%5Í    ½à ЬÈÔØ°ÅÕ½Ðíá¥ÐÑ¡¥ÌÁɽɴüÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐíÉå½ÔÍÕÉå½ÔݹÐѼÅÕ¥ÐüÅÕ½Ðì¤ôØQ¡¸á¥Ð)]¹

:wacko:

PsaltyDS,

Your first example worked fine. I am not sure why I included the 'cancel' option in my example. :D

But your second example produced an error:

This keyword (Exit) cannot be used after a "Then" keyword.

Just FYI. :D

taurus905

"Never mistake kindness for weakness."-- Author Unknown --"The highest point to which a weak but experienced mind can rise is detecting the weakness of better men."-- Georg Lichtenberg --Simple Obfuscator (Beta not needed.), Random names for Vars and Funcs

PsaltyDS,

Your first example worked fine. I am not sure why I included the 'cancel' option in my example. :D

But your second example produced an error:

This keyword (Exit) cannot be used after a "Then" keyword.

Just FYI. :wacko:

taurus905

I was not on a Windows box before and was coding off the top of my head. Just tested it and got the same error, but this worked:

#include <GuiConstants.au3>
GUICreate("Testing nested If's")
GUISetState()
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE And MsgBox(4+256, "Exit?", "Exit program?") = 6 Then Exit
WEnd

Cheers! :D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I was not on a Windows box before and was coding off the top of my head. Just tested it and got the same error, but this worked:

#include <GuiConstants.au3>
GUICreate("Testing nested If's")
GUISetState()
While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE And MsgBox(4+256, "Exit?", "Exit program?") = 6 Then Exit
WEnd

Cheers! :D

PsaltyDS,

That's short and sweet. I like it. :wacko:

I think in my first example I spread it out so new users could better see what was going on and how easy it was to change in order to see the effect.

But I would use your example in my scripts.

Thanks,

taurus905

PsaltyDS,

That's short and sweet. I like it. :wacko:

I think in my first example I spread it out so new users could better see what was going on and how easy it was to change in order to see the effect.

But I would use your example in my scripts.

Thanks,

taurus905

I've only been using AutoIT about six months, so my code is NOT generally very tight. I only comment on other people's code this way as a tutorial exercise that is helping me strengthen my AutoIT-fu. Just for giggles, here's a further reduction in code:

GUICreate("Testing Conditional Close")
GUISetState()
While 1
    If GUIGetMsg() = -3 And MsgBox(4+256, "Exit?", "Exit program?") = 6 Then Exit
WEnd

Gets rid of the #include by explicitly using the value for $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE and doesn't bother saving $msg. I don't think it can be done any shorter than that!

:D