Could AutoIT be used to Redirect Application Requests?

I have been working on making more and more applications Portable (use via a USB drive) and in that I was wondering if AutoIT could script/compile an EXE that more or less could be used to Redirect certain requests that windows based applications make to either a Reg Entry or Folder/File request?

So in other words app.exe that looks for certain reg entries and looks for a folder and or file located in %userprofile% get redirected to a relative path of your choosing like maybe in a command line format or something?

Could such a thing be done?

Thanks,

MrChris

• 9 months later...

Hello guys,

I believe the question has not been answered yet. How do I able to redirect the application request to its own folder? I have an application that read and write setting-file in %userprofile%.

It is easier to make a launcher that copy the setting-file and delete when the app is closed... one of the problem with this method is when my Windows XP is hang & I need to restart the OS, the setting-file is not deleted as the autoit hasn't detected the app is being closed.

Is there any one who understands how to do this and willing to share it? I have been searching for some hours but I don't see anything related to it.

Thank you.

This can be done. It will take a bit of work to start, but once you have a system in place it would be simple to use. I am suprised a program like this hasn't already been made.

I would like to help develop a application for this purpose as I am a computer technician and it would be very useful for making applications portable. Though I am new to AutoIt but not programming/scripting.

If you want to work together on something like this email me on roswell.r@gmail.com

If you want to know how to do it, I beleive AutoIt supports DLLs, therefore it would be possible to use madshi's madCodeHook project over at madshi.net

The madCodeHook project allows you to hook API calls, and thus you would hook file and api calls and modify them.

This can be done. It will take a bit of work to start, but once you have a system in place it would be simple to use. I am suprised a program like this hasn't already been made.

I would like to help develop a application for this purpose as I am a computer technician and it would be very useful for making applications portable. Though I am new to AutoIt but not programming/scripting.

If you want to work together on something like this email me on roswell.r@gmail.com

If you want to know how to do it, I beleive AutoIt supports DLLs, therefore it would be possible to use madshi's madCodeHook project over at madshi.net

The madCodeHook project allows you to hook API calls, and thus you would hook file and api calls and modify them.

Oh, so all you are looking to do is detour? A Few Window's APIs? If this is the case it would be very simple. It would be easier just to write your own system. All detouring consist of is

VirtualProtect() The mempage to EXECUTE_READWRITE

Copy over the first 5 bytes of the function with a jmp or call to your function

VirtualProtect() The mempage back to its previous state

Or you could just use the Windows Detour library.

Edited by Ic3c0ld

VirtualProtect() The mempage to EXECUTE_READWRITE

Copy over the first 5 bytes of the function with a jmp or call to your function

VirtualProtect() The mempage back to its previous state

Or you could just use the Windows Detour library.

Ic3c0ld, could you please explain in more detail how to do the detour? And what is Windows Detour Library?