Install Programs

Hello everyone...

I am currently trying to find the best way to automatically install about three programs, uninstall two programs and run some registry settings and other file cleanup items.

A collegue of mine gave me the link to AutoIT and I downloaded the AutoIT3. It looks like a great tool.

However, it looks like a lot to learn.

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way with any of the AutoIT programs to easily automate the process I need to put together? Like a snapshot before/after, or a recorder, etc....

Any help would be great.

Thanks

GarryB

Hello everyone...

I am currently trying to find the best way to automatically install about three programs, uninstall two programs and run some registry settings and other file cleanup items.

A collegue of mine gave me the link to AutoIT and I downloaded the AutoIT3. It looks like a great tool.

However, it looks like a lot to learn.

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way with any of the AutoIT programs to easily automate the process I need to put together? Like a snapshot before/after, or a recorder, etc....

Any help would be great.

Thanks

GarryB

Most importantly, check out the help file, which is also the command reference, has running examples of every function, and includes a quick tutorial. You also need to understand that most scripts on this forum use functions from the Beta versions. A most excelent full tutorial is linked in my sig below, by the indominable Valuater... Class is in session! :D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

AutoIT is a valuable tool, trust me when I say that its a unreplacable tool when working with windows.

It is going to be worth the time to learn it as you can use it in sooo many places and do soo many things with it. Read the help file and take a tour with Valuater's 1-2-3 :D

Edited by joshiieeii

That's what I do for a living right now. I got started by writing autoit scripts, now I use it as part of a whole host of apps and scripts.

What three apps are you working with? What's your deployment method? (Group Policy, SMS, Alteris, LanDesk, etc...)

Have you been over to AppDeploy.com? There may just be command lines for unisntalling and reinstalling those apps.

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)

Take a look at FileInstall()

SciTe has a macro recorder built in, use that.

FileInstall() just compresses files into your compiled AutoIt script. Might not be what you need.

A macro recorder won't be as good as just using the right command line for the install, if it's there...

i.e. if it's an MSI install, just use:

msiexec /i product.msi /qb-! ALLUSERS=1

and the like...

"I'm not even supposed to be here today!" -Dante (Hicks)