New Folders (Single/Multiple/Sub/Mixed)

TheSaint

If you like this program, then you'll probably like this one too - Context Options, which the program below was inspired by.

Why is New Folders one of my best programs?

It saves time and gives power to the user - certainly far superior to the traditional method of creating a new folder ... even if Microsoft finally put a 'New Folder' button on every Explorer window.

Are most people, really so attached to using right-click, selecting 'New', and then clicking 'Folder'?

It certainly seems as though they must be. Yet there is a better way ... that could only be improved by adding a button for my program (or similar) on every Explorer window. Surely people get sick of having to be so accurate and patient when using this traditional method?

What happens when the time taken to display the right-click menu increases - as it inevitably does over time?

Are people accepting of that or do they get annoyed ... like me?

What does my 'New Folders' program do?

1) Lets you use a hotkey combo - saves on time & accuracy.

2) Alternatively you can right-click on a file, and take the new folder name from that - still saves on time & accuracy, with the added benefit of no typing.

3) Instant folder creation by clicking the 'Create' button.

4) While the generic folder name of 'New Folder' is the same as usual (and highlighted to instantly type over), you can set the program to return the last created folder name - so no typing is required.

5) Not only can you create one new folder instantly, but you can create many at once - even with sub-folders. With my ingenious methods of using pipes and forward slashes, you can save absolute oodles of time and hassle.

6) Couple all the above features with additional options like -

{a} Trailing or Leading Incrementation - with or without zeroes.

{b} Favourite folder names - using replace or addition.

{c} Case toggling.

{d} Date folder/s - full or separate.

{e} Alphabet folders - 26 instant folder names (even more with increments).

{f} Import text from clipboard as the new folder name.

{g} Make any leading 'The' a trailing ', The'.

{h} Instantly quit the program dialog after folder creation, or keep it open and browse to other windows to create the same or other folder names there - just click the 'Refresh' button at each location before clicking 'Create'.

{i} Combinations of many of the above, as well as many controlling features, etc.

IMAGINE THIS SCENARIO - You want to create hundreds of folders that use the same basic name but are incremented by a number. This program can do it with one click instantly ... IS THAT POWERFUL OR WHAT! :D

Download the program from Here

Screenshots

Minimal version of the GUI

Posted Image

Full version of the GUI

Posted Image

(previous downloads: 193 + 21) (10th July 2006) (this was updated on same day - some minor bugfix) Updated again on 2nd October 2008 after I became alerted to an issue. I'm now up to version 3.0, which I will make available soon - where I have presumably catered for this issue, considering I still use the program all the time. This was just a quick little fix for a simple version of the program, which is much more complex now.

This is a program, that I've been working up to for some time!

It's now finished, and I'm pleased to share it with everybody!

Do you ever get sick of having to right-click, then select New -> Folder

I know I have many times!

As we all know, some computers are quite slow at doing this, and you have to be oh so accurate with your mouse cursor.

If I had a dollar for every time I wish Microsoft had put a button on the menu bar in explorer (for creating folders ... just like the one available in the Save dialog), I'd be a rich man.

Well while my program doesn't do that, it does the next best thing!

It uses a hotkey (Ctrl + Alt + F is recommended) to start up a dialog, that let's you create single/multiple/sub folders all at once, and you can even create/store/delete some favourite names for easy combo access. The program will even work well at just the desktop - no folder open!

Several people have given their 2 cents worth during the creation of the program, I'd like to thank them, and I'd just like to give a special thanks to Uten, who supplied me with some code (I used 2 lines), and some ideas (which I implemented - regarding OS checking, etc).

Nothing happens it seems, without a bit of acrimony, and if you've read my posts, you'll know what I mean.

You need to have your windows folder options set correctly (Tools menu), for this program to work!

Ideally I hoped to overcome this, but it hasn't happened yet!

Please at least try it out, and then let me know what you think!

My Other Posts

Admin Rights & Shortcuts For All ------ Autoit Programmer's Aids ------ Context Options

Projects Backup ------ Script Templates ------ Unique Id Code For Audio Cd

Admin File Management

SEE ALSO

Volly's Links

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I'd like to, but perhaps you should attach something :D

Don't take my pic to serious...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~You Looked, but you did not see!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like to, but perhaps you should attach something :D

To soon buddy ... jeez you're quick off the gun!

Anyway it's there now!

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Unfortunately, I have to say that it won't work for me :D When I run your program, it complains about a "Folder Path Error", even when the active window is an explorer window. Hope you can fix this.

Edited by marfdaman

Don't take my pic to serious...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~You Looked, but you did not see!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, I have to say that it won't work for me :D When I run your program, it complains about a "Folder Path Error", even when the active window is an explorer window. Hope you can fix this.

Did you compile it first?

Did you use a beta compiler?

What version of windows are you using?

I've tested it on 2 PC's.

PC1 - WinXP, PC2 - 98SE & WINME partitions.

It worked fine on these!

If you look at the code, especially the $class variable, all my PC's use the same classname for explorer, whereas according to Uten, this is different for WIN 2000. However I did allow for that in the coding!

If you have 95 or are using 2003, etc please use the AutoIt Window Info tool to get the correct classname, then let me know.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Mine does work and i have compiled with beta .127 and running Winxp sp2 when i run it it just exit in 1 sec

Hi rambo3889

That's exactly what I created it on!

Are you saying that something is wrong with it ... that it exits after 1 sec?

Spoiler

userbar.png

Well, it seems to be my mistake, as I figured it would work with the explorer window as well (win+e). I tried it with the normal explorer without treeview, and that works! Only addition I would suggest is the $BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON style for the "create" button (and perhaps the making it work with the treeview explorer as well).

Good job :D

Edited by marfdaman

Im sorry i dont understand then is it because the options in windows explorer should be in some special way?

A dialog should stay open so that you can use the Info, which explains how to check or change your settings.

Basically the program reads the path from your Address bar in a windows explorer window - this looks like a combo, but is read by AutoIt as Edit1.

If the setting is not checked, all you see in the Address bar is the name of your folder ... if it is enabled, you see the full path.

In case you are having trouble with the dialog, this is how you check/change the setting -

1) Open a folder (explorer window).

2) Select the Tools dropdown menu (XP) or View (I think) menu (98).

3) Select what is usually the last item - Folder Options.

4) Select the View tab.

5) In Advanced Settings under the Files and Folders section, put a tick in the 5th item down, which is - Display the full path in the address bar. I'm not sure how different this is in Win98 (check later), etc. I'm also not sure if you need to change any other settings - I didn't have to on any of my PC's.

Hopefully if this was the problem, and you've changed it, then a GUI dialog with several options should show when you run the exe or use the hotkey (once enabled).

Other than that you might have to step your way thru the program (I use dialogs), to see what's happening!

Please let me know how you get on!

Spoiler

userbar.png

Well, it seems to be my mistake, as I figured it would work with the explorer window as well (win+e). I tried it with the normal exploere without treeview, and that works!

Thanks for letting me know marfdaman

Only addition I would suggest is the $BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON style for the "create" button

That sounds like a good idea ... I seem to always forget about that!

(and perhaps the making it work with the treeview explorer as well).

Actually I never tested that ... rarely ever use it since the advent of Win 95 ... I'll see what I can do!

Godd job

Thanks!

Spoiler

userbar.png

marfdaman

If you download the file again, you will see that it now works ok in Windows Explorer treeview.

I also added the default button feature.

Thanks again for pointing those things out to me!

I didn't think it was worth updating the versions number (actually I forgot before uploading), so I just added a comment about a bugfix.

I also discovered something about the classnames, so made a little change that hopefully means it will now definitely work in all versions of Windows.

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 2 years later...

The latest version of the New Folders program can now be downloaded from TheSaint's Toolbox post ... along with many of my other programs. v1.1 will only be available here for a little while longer.

:P

Spoiler

userbar.png

A major change to New Folders has occurred, in that it now features a MORE come LESS button, which toggles between a minimal view of the GUI and the full view. The obvious benefits, are that the program can look less complex and thus feel that way, plus ideal when using 'Keep On Top' or 'Keep Open' because you see more of your desktop. :P

I still don't understand why there are so few downloads of this (one of my best) programs ... maybe people don't really understand what it does ... how powerful it is ... I use it many times a day and thank the lucky stars that I thought of it! :idea:

:(

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

If you like this program, then you'll also love my Folder From File v1.6 program, which has just been added to my Toolbox. :(

:P

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 2 months later...

New Folders updated to v3.6 *

I discovered a bug related to window positioning, when the right-click option was used to create a folder name. This mean't that the GUI was too big when displaying with the MORE option. A very simple fix involving the scriptname.

Another reason to update, this program is now a smaller download - being in my installer package format. I recommend you install it with my Universal Installer.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png