Any AutoIt Eclipse plugin?

LazyCoder

We are always looking for the best tools for code edition, GUI creation, debugging infos...

Wouldn't it be nice to have an eclipse plugin to do all that inside a powerfull and yet free tool such as eclipse?

Has anyone already worked on such an idea?

I already dream of me coding in Java, C++, VBS and AutoIt, packing my apps with NSIS, all this inside eclipse IDE...

So, what do you think of such a dream?

Will we share it?

A good program computing A into B is mostly one that won't crash in all the other cases...

So, what do you think of such a dream?

Will we share it?

Absolutely nothing is stopping you from making said dream occur. Please go for it.

It's a big download and it's Java - if you want the SDK, that is, which we would need in order to make your dream possible. That seems like a lot of overhead to deal with when you consider how simple, graceful, and straight-up SciTe is.

You should post this in a more relevant forum, instead of the scripts and scraps joint. Perhaps under "ideas." ;o)

-S

(Yet Another) ExcelCOM UDF"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly...[indent]...specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein[/indent]

@w0uter

You use Scite? That's great, it a good tool, but it doesn't offer what I'm lookinkg for. I regularly use Pspad but it doesn't exactly offer what I need.

@Locodarwin

You're right, I hesitated and seem to have chosen the wrong forum, finally...

Anyway, it doesn't matter for me how big the IDE is as long as the script I make are ligthweigth.

Eclipse uses Java because it's made with it? Great, Scite uses C (or is ti C++) because it's made with... so. (yes, ok, I'm almost joking, I know the main difference, just wanna say: is that such a big deal?)

Finally as my nickname says, I'm a lazy man, but maybe I'll work on that AutoIt Eclipse plugin.

But my first reaction will always be the same: ask if someone invented the wheel before even getting my tools out of the box... :D

A good program computing A into B is mostly one that won't crash in all the other cases...

Hi,

so what's your goal at end? Do you "just" want the syntax checking and highligthning ... in Eclipse, or do you want to get the whole stuff running (debugging and so on)?

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Hi,

so what's your goal at end? Do you "just" want the syntax checking and highligthning ... in Eclipse, or do you want to get the whole stuff running (debugging and so on)?

So long,

Mega

The idea would be to have the whole stuff working, of course.

We already have chroma-coding using Scite or PSPad, we already have syntax checking using AU3Check (launched through Scite or PSPad), we already have auto-completion using Scite or PSPad, we benefit output redirection using Scite or PSPad and we even have code-folding and pop-up help using Scite. That's right. We can even launch or compile the scripts through PSPad or Scite...

But what about real runtime debug capabilities?

What about breakpoints?

What about working and mostly debugging with something else than the MsgBox function?

What about having your own functions referenced inside your scripts? (I think Scite partially make it... right?)

What about right-clicking on such included function of an/your UDF and being able to leap easily to it?

Well, maybe the gains are minor for most of you...

Maybe should I be glad that PSPad can manage projets...

Maybe...

LazyCoder,

Eclipse uses Java because it's made with it? Great, Scite uses C (or is ti C++) because it's made with... so. (yes, ok, I'm almost joking, I know the main difference, just wanna say: is that such a big deal?)

I guess that depends on one's stance toward the language in question. I'm not a fan of Java in general, and I avoid putting the Java runtime libraries on any of my Windows-based computers if I can help it. Java on Windows is just a big mess if you ask me.

But what about real runtime debug capabilities?

What about breakpoints?

What about working and mostly debugging with something else than the MsgBox function?

What about having your own functions referenced inside your scripts? (I think Scite partially make it... right?)

What about right-clicking on such included function of an/your UDF and being able to leap easily to it?

I would love to have an IDE with all the features you mention above. I would love to have breakpoints. I would love to have a stepping debugger, especially with variable tracking. I guess the question for me is this: is it worth investing the time and effort into Eclipse, or would some other implementation work out better in the long term? I'm sure others have been (and/or currently are) trying to find answers to questions like this.

-S

(Yet Another) ExcelCOM UDF"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly...[indent]...specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein[/indent]

Yes, Java is a mess to me (though I did program in Java... shame on me) but it's a price I'm ready to pay to have a good debugging capable tool.

I'm sure others have been (and/or currently are) trying to find answers to questions like this.

I sincerely hope so, or I'll have to try to make this eclipse plugin on my own...

• 1 month later...

@LazyCode

I agree with you %100.

I have a lot of problems with Scite when my scripts grow bigger.

Here is a link to a Python plug-in for eclipse; this should help you to start on your own:

http://pydev.sourceforge.net/download.html

I don't have a lot of time for this but I'm willing to help you.

Edit: Please create a new topic under Ideas.

RK

Edited by rbhkamal

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"-Jimi Hendrix