Newby question on suitability

Hi,

I am looking for a tool to build my own extensions to some programs I use.

AutoIt looks great, but to be sure I have a question.

I want to be able to use hotkeys to start scripts that perform specific functions. I need these functions regularly when using some other program(s).

Is this possible? And if so, how do I go about it? Do I need some kind of permanently running script catching my hotkeys, and branching to the different functions?

TIA!

Bart

I want to be able to use hotkeys to start scripts that perform specific functions. I need these functions regularly when using some other program(s).

read about HotKeySet() in the help file. There you will also find an example.

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

read about HotKeySet() in the help file. There you will also find an example.

Cheers

Kurt

Thanks for the quick reply, Kurt, but I guess my question was not clear.

I already read the Help item, but it didn't provide me with the answer.

The program I mentioned is an external program (has nothing to do with AutoIt).

When working in that external program I want to be able to start AutoIt scripts by using hotkeys.

Maybe the question should be:

Can I continuously run an AutoIt script in the background while working in an external program, and have that script pick up on hotkeys to run functions defined in the script? And won't that slow down my system?

Thanks!

Bart

Maybe the question should be:

Can I continuously run an AutoIt script in the background while working in an external program, and have that script pick up on hotkeys to run functions defined in the script? And won't that slow down my system?

Thanks!

Bart

YES - Can I continuously run an AutoIt script in the background while working in an external program

YES - have that script pick up on hotkeys to run functions defined in the script?

NO - And won't that slow down my system? (dependant on what your routines actually do!!)

Edited by HardCopy

Contributions: UDF _DateYearFirstChildren are like Farts, you can just about stand your own.Why am I not a Vegetarian?...Well...my ancestors didn't fight & evolve to the Top of the food chain for me to survive on Salad

YES - Can I continuously run an AutoIt script in the background while working in an external program

YES - have that script pick up on hotkeys to run functions defined in the script?

NO - And won't that slow down my system? (dependant on what your routines actually do!!)

OK, thanks! :D

I'll try to phrase my questions better next time! :">

Bart