grabbing file info

I am trying to make a script that detects if certain files are installed on a computer or not, and if not, to give the user easy access to the installation files that are on our network. I can provide the code if requested, but it is not needed at this point.

Currently my program runs a "FileExists" command in which I ask it to find if the given program's executable file exists in it's main directory.

The issue is that if I have a lower version of the program than is required but still has the same directory, I have to go searching through all the folders for something unique to that version, which is hard sometimes when upgrading from say 7.1 to 7.2, etc.

is there any way to find standard windows information such as version number without having to direct the computer to the properties/version tab and having the user validate that is the correct version? is there a better way to find if a program is installed on a given system other than doing a fileexists?

thanks in advance,

mike

Amp Energy Drink: the official sponsor of me scripting at 2AM.

• Moderators

FileGetVersion()?

Edit:

Actually I don't know if that is in the released version, but here you will see alot more functionality then the released if that is what you are using:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23823

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

FileGetVersion()?

Edit:

Actually I don't know if that is in the released version, but here you will see alot more functionality then the released if that is what you are using:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23823

wow, I can't believe I never saw "FileGetVersion". duhhh!!!! (looks for smiley with a dunce cap) :D

thanks!

Amp Energy Drink: the official sponsor of me scripting at 2AM.