Array question

Is it possible to create an array when you don't know how much data is in the array? I am creating an array with a LLLLOOOONNNNGGG list of things, and i don't know how much there is...

Is it possible to create an array when you don't know how much data is in the array? I am creating an array with a LLLLOOOONNNNGGG list of things, and i don't know how much there is...

I believe you can accomplish this with _ArrayAdd, but I've never used it personally. You could also just make the array a lot bigger than you would possibly need, then resize it after it's as full as it's going to get, I've done that before.

Nomad :D

Edit: I've never used _ArrayAdd because the only situations like this I've encountered were already eating up a lot of time, so I didn't want to eat up more time by calling a function inside of the loop. It was faster to just make the array huge, like $Array[1000000], and use a variable in the loop which counted each time it looped, that way I could instantly determine the last index of the array which was written to, and make another loop based on that to transfer the array data to a new array which was exactly the right size. I hope that made sense. :wacko:

Edited by Nomad

I use _ArrayAdd() a lot, and that is just a UDF implementation of ReDim. For convienence and convention sake, keep the first index ($Array[0]) for the count. Mine generally look like this:

#include <array.au3>

Global $aAnimals[1] = [0]
While 1
     $NewAnimal = InputBox($aAnimals[0] & " Animals so far...", "Enter a new animal: ")
     If @error Then ExitLoop
     _ArrayAdd($aAnimals, $NewAnimal)
     $aAnimals = Ubound($aAnimals) - 1
Wend
_ArrayDisplay($aAnimals, "Your list of " & $aAnimals[0] & " animals:")oÝ÷ ØíêÞƧyçm¢Ë^¦Øk¢è!¶®¶²Ê¬¶)ev÷öÙÞyÛhz0jvíg¡£ h­Æ®¶­sb6æ6ÇVFRfÇC¶'&æS2fwC° ¤vÆö&Âb33c¶æÖÇ5³ÒҳХvÆR¢b33c´æWtæÖÂÒçWD&÷b33c¶æÖÇ5³ÒfײgV÷C²æÖÇ26òf"âââgV÷C²ÂgV÷C´VçFW"æWræÖâgV÷C²¢bW'&÷"FVâWDÆö÷¢ô'&FBb33c¶æÖÇ2Âb33c´æWtæÖ¢b33c¶æÖÇ5³ÒÒV&÷VæBb33c¶æÖÇ2Ò¥vVæ@¤f÷"b33c¶ÒFòb33c¶æÖÇ5³Ð¢×6t&÷cBÂgV÷C´æÖÂÆ7Fæw2gV÷C²ÂgV÷C´æÖÂgV÷C²fײb33c¶fײgV÷C²÷WBöbgV÷C²fײb33c¶æÖÇ5³ÒfײgV÷C²3¢gV÷C²fײb33c¶æÖÇ5²b33c¶ÒÂ"¤æW

:D

Edit: Tweaked a typo per AlanR, below...

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• 1 month later...

Just trawling through posts here, trying to pick up some tips. Shouldn't the line:

read as:
$aAnimals[0]= Ubound($aAnimals) - 1
?

Alan

Edited by AlanR

Just trawling through posts here, trying to pick up some tips. Shouldn't the line:

read as:
$aAnimals[0]= Ubound($aAnimals) - 1
?

Alan

yep

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.