Newbie needing help

Hello!

Now, before I start, I am new with AutoIt and English isn't my mother tongue, so bear with me all! :">

Here it goes;

I have this .exe interactive file that i start and then enter data as the small .exe program goes on.

Thing is, i want to automate it. I can't simply write a C or Java program to make it work as it needs interaction with the mouse (and some keyboard keys) and me entering data...

So i've come across AutoIt. Now, I can run any .exe file (with the 'Run' function) but what I would like to be able to do is to have this AutoIt script that would start the .exe file and that would also take inputs from a .txt (which would contain the data needed by the .exe file). The AutoIt script would manage both the .exe and the .txt...

If that's not clear enough (sometimes explaining is hard lol), then here is how it should work:

- AutoIt opens and runs the first part of the .exe

- Then it stops cos it needs input.

- AutoIt would then read a certain line from the .txt

- It would then send that input to the .exe

Now, as I am new with it, I don't know if that's possible and how to exactly manage that, so if someone could help me out, i'd really appreciate it!

Huuuuuuuge thanks!

You should lookup FileReadLine and send in the help file. It may also be a good idea to look at Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3, it is a sticky in scripts and scraps section.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

I know this has nothing to do with the topic, and hope you liek getting corrected xD

Mother Tongue? From now on, You will say, First Language xD

Ignore the post if you must =P

# MY LOVE FOR YOU... IS LIKE A TRUCK- #

I know this has nothing to do with the topic, and hope you liek getting corrected xD

Mother Tongue? From now on, You will say, First Language xD

Ignore the post if you must =P

AzKay,

At first, I thought of the term 'Mother Tongue' to be a simple malapropism. I was surprised when I did a google search and got 6,300,000 hits, including www.mothertongue.com

@Lizzi - Welcome to the AutoIt forum. As I posted in an earlier thread, please do yourself a favor and check out the following link for a great tutorial:

Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session

And I think your English is very good. :D

taurus905

"Never mistake kindness for weakness."-- Author Unknown --"The highest point to which a weak but experienced mind can rise is detecting the weakness of better men."-- Georg Lichtenberg --Simple Obfuscator (Beta not needed.), Random names for Vars and Funcs

AzKay,

At first, I thought of the term 'Mother Tongue' to be a simple malapropism. I was surprised when I did a google search and got 6,300,000 hits, including www.mothertongue.com

@Lizzi - Welcome to the AutoIt forum. As I posted in an earlier thread, please do yourself a favor and check out the following link for a great tutorial:

Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session

And I think your English is very good. :D

taurus905

oups! my mistake then... first language it is!!

Just did the Welcome to AutoIt 1-2-3 session, is it just me or when you click on the images on the left it does something but so fast I couldn't see a thing! :wacko::D:D Might do it again tomorrow

And Taurus905, cheers! been hanging around loads of music forums, improved me english and picked up some funny expressions as well! lol!

• Developers

oups! my mistake then... first language it is!!

Mother Tongue sounds right to me... but what do I know, my Mother Tongue is Dutch..... :D

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

I just said first language, cause mother tongue just sounds really weird.

I might sound strange to you and you might not commonly use it, but that doesn't mean it is wrong...

You probably learned a second language at school ? Try writing a post like Lizzy did in the first post in that language.. Only then you will know how difficult it is to write something in clear build sentences in another language. :D

Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I know how hard it is, I speak english & french, cause, I lived in australia and everyone in my family knows french, but I can read/speak french, just cant write it :D

# MY LOVE FOR YOU... IS LIKE A TRUCK- #