Execute EXE file from telnet CMD shell

Hi all -

I just learned of this neat program. I have been looking for a way to automate an install of a windows install program.

I created a small file using the MouseClick method to click on application Install file.

I compiled it to EXE called INSTALLME

If I go to the CMD window directly on the GUI and type INSTALLME, I see it working... (I.e. installing and answering the questions). However, I am not able to get this to work if I telnet to the machine and issue the command.

I want to be able to telnet into this machine and execute this INSTALLME file from CLI.

Is this possible? Is this an environment variable issue?

I am running windows 2000 server.

Any help is much apprieciated!

Thanks

@getmeasam,

Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at:

cMenu

This tool can do most of what you are already doing in an automated fashion. It might also give you a starting idea.

Also, if your original install file supports silent installations, you should be able to avoid having to repeat the work. cMenu will report the switches you require 80% of the time for silent installs, or for that matter, remote installations, or other switches. The installer may also have some info in the inf file (language selection and so on).

for example, if setup exe supports silent installs and the swithc is -quiet, you may silent install you pack as follows

$InstallPid = _RunDOS(@ScriptDir & "\path to setup.exe\Setup.exe -quiet")

where $InstallPid is the process id of the launched setup.exe. Generally, if $InstallPid = 0 then the installation was successful.

i'll attach a sample gif of the cMenu.

If you run into trouble, don't hesitate to pm me. I've done a few of those now.

IVAN

• 3 weeks later...

Its been some time but I am finally have some time to work on this again.

The CMenu has some pretty cool stuff. Thanks for this tip. I am still having trouble.

I was easily able to use the auto program to build a program which I kick off from the WIndows GUI it works fine.... However, it does not work when you telnet to the machine and execute via DOS.

Do you have an example scripts where you kicked off the install of a Windows Installer .EXE program

via CMD DOS shell?

Thanks

@getmeasam,

Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at:

cMenu

This tool can do most of what you are already doing in an automated fashion. It might also give you a starting idea.

Also, if your original install file supports silent installations, you should be able to avoid having to repeat the work. cMenu will report the switches you require 80% of the time for silent installs, or for that matter, remote installations, or other switches. The installer may also have some info in the inf file (language selection and so on).

for example, if setup exe supports silent installs and the swithc is -quiet, you may silent install you pack as follows

$InstallPid = _RunDOS(@ScriptDir & "\path to setup.exe\Setup.exe -quiet")

where $InstallPid is the process id of the launched setup.exe. Generally, if $InstallPid = 0 then the installation was successful.

i'll attach a sample gif of the cMenu.

If you run into trouble, don't hesitate to pm me. I've done a few of those now.

IVAN