My v3 script stops (RunWait) and I don't know why...

I am doing some MSI installation and uninstallation and it seems that my script behave very strange - it stops execution unexpectible.

What script does? (I commented well all code)

It installs one of my InstallShield applications.

During setup user choose if want to install Server, Client or Both and this choice is written in registry in values "ServerInstalled" and/or "ClientInstalled".

After that step my script STOPS execution :-(

It should continue to see if MSDE 2000 is installed (reads from registry key "MSDEInstalled" value "IsInstalled") and if MSDE is not installed and user pick Server installation it installs MSDE and run SQL script to create database.

If MSDE is installed and user picked Client installation it must uninstall MSDE and delete registry key "MSDEInstalled".

All paths are ok...

It seems that somehow that InstallShield application (when I click Finish) close execution of my script (no matter if it is installation or uninstallation)... Maybe parameter /qn is a problem (I didn't want to see question "Do you really want to uninstall?")...

Here is my script:

AutoItSetOption("RunErrorsFatal", 0)

;Read value from registry key to check if SERVER is allready installed (ServerInstalled=1)
$serverInstalled = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice", "ServerInstalled")

;Read value from registry key  to check if CLIENT is allready installed (ClientInstalled=1)
$clientInstalled = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice", "ClientInstalled")

;Read value from registry key to check if MSDE 2000 is installed (MSDEInstalled=1)
$msdeInstalled = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled", "IsInstalled")

;First -> uninstall Urnik application with GUID {A2925D4F-0905-40DB-AB8D-CB4AA79572B3} if it is allready installed
If ($serverInstalled = 1 OR $clientInstalled = 1) Then

RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @SystemDir & "/msiexec /qn /x{A2925D4F-0905-40DB-AB8D-CB4AA79572B3}", "", @SW_HIDE)

;Delete possible remained registry keys to be sure that all is deleted
    RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\Metronik.Timetable")
    RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice")

EndIf

;Second -> install again Urnik application from the beginning (user can choose to install SERVER or CLIENT)
;After installation it will have value "ServerInstalled=1" if he picked SERVER or "ClientInstalled=1" if he picked CLIENT
RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @ScriptDir & "/Urnik/Urnik.exe", "", @SW_HIDE)

;If MSDE is not installed -> install it only if user picked to install SERVER installation
If ($msdeInstalled <> 1) Then

;If SERVER is installed -> only then install MSDE 2000 and create DB
    If ($serverInstalled = 1) Then

;Install MSDE 2000
        RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @ScriptDir & "/MSDE2000/Setup.exe SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD='MyPWD' TARGETDIR='C:\Metronik\MSDE\DB' DATADIR='C:\Metronik\MSDE\Data' DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0", "", @SW_HIDE)

;Write MSDEInstalled=1 into registry
        RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled", "IsInstalled", "REG_SZ", "1")

;Run SQL script to create DB
        RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @ScriptDir & "/DBScript/SetupDB.bat", "", @SW_HIDE)

EndIf

Else
    ;If MSDE is installed and user picked CLIENT installation (ClientInstalled=1) -> Remove MSDE
    If ($clientInstalled = 1) Then

;Uninstall MSDE 2000
        RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @SystemDir & "/msiexec /qn /x{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}", "", @SW_HIDE)

;Delete registry key "MSDEInstalled"
        RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled")

;Delete MSDE 2000 directory
        DirRemove("C:\Metronik", 1)

EndIf

EndIf

Welcome,

The registry reads would return string values, so I would recommend to compare them against string values also. Add quotes around the "1".

What I cannot understand is if Urnik.exe installs the programs and adds registry keys is how you get the change of registry when you only read them from the start of script? Surely you would reread the values again?

And looks like an Else, then a IF on the following line, should perhaps be ElseIf instead? That would make 1 EndIf obsolete.

:D

Edited by MHz

Welcome,

The registry reads would return string values, so I would recommend to compare them against string values also. Add quotes around the "1".

What I cannot understand is if Urnik.exe installs the programs and adds registry keys is how you get the change of registry when you only read them from the start of script? Surely you would reread the values again?

And looks like an Else, then a IF on the following line, should perhaps be ElseIf instead? That would make 1 EndIf obsolete.

:D

Thanks for reply.

Yes, reading a registry values again is necesary :-) A logical mistake for a red card :-)

Also changed 1 -> "1" when comparing...

Didn't understand that problem about If, Then, Else... It seems ok to me - I have one simple If and then one If Then Else combination with one nested simple If Then inside the each logical part...

But as before, scripts stops after new installation and I don't know if script read again my registry and what stoped it... I will try to put MsgBox after each command...

New code is:

;Read value from registry key to check if SERVER is allready installed (ServerInstalled="1")
$serverInstalled = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice", "ServerInstalled")

;Read value from registry key  to check if CLIENT is allready installed (ClientInstalled="1")
$clientInstalled = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice", "ClientInstalled")

;Read value from registry key to check if MSDE 2000 is installed (MSDEInstalled="1")
$msdeInstalled = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled", "IsInstalled")

MsgBox(4096, "Debug", "serverInstalled="&$serverInstalled&", clientInstalled="&$clientInstalled&", msdeInstalled="&$msdeInstalled);

;First -> uninstall Urnik application with GUID {A2925D4F-0905-40DB-AB8D-CB4AA79572B3} if it is allready installed
If ($serverInstalled = "1" OR $clientInstalled = "1") Then

RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @SystemDir & "/msiexec /qn /x{A2925D4F-0905-40DB-AB8D-CB4AA79572B3}", "", @SW_HIDE)

RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\Metronik.Timetable")
    RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice")

EndIf

;Second -> install again Urnik application from the beginning (user can choose to install SERVER or CLIENT)
;After installation it will have value "ServerInstalled=1" if he picked SERVER or "ClientInstalled=1" if he picked CLIENT

;Read again value from registry key to check if SERVER is allready installed (ServerInstalled="1")

;Read again value from registry key  to check if CLIENT is allready installed (ClientInstalled="1")

;If MSDE is not installed -> install it only if user picked to install SERVER installation
If ($msdeInstalled <> "1") Then

If ($serverInstalled = "1") Then

;Install MSDE 2000
        RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @ScriptDir & "/MSDE2000/Setup.exe SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD='MyPWD' TARGETDIR='C:\Metronik\MSDE\DB' DATADIR='C:\Metronik\MSDE\Data' DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0", "", @SW_HIDE)

;Write MSDEInstalled="1" into registry
        RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled", "IsInstalled", "REG_SZ", "1")

EndIf

Else
    ;If MSDE is installed and user picked CLIENT installation (ClientInstalled="1") -> Remove MSDE
    If ($clientInstalled = "1") Then

;Uninstall MSDE 2000
        RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @SystemDir & "/msiexec /qn /x{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}", "", @SW_HIDE)

RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled")

EndIf

EndIf

It seems that is problem in uninstallation of Urnik.exe application.

I put a flag /qn for silent uninstallation but it seems that application didn't exist for given GUID. And it didn't uninstall this application so when I come back to install fresh application it offers me to remove the application allready installed so I remove it and then nothing happen (what is expected).

How I can find GUID of this installed application - to find the right one?

This GUID I copied from InstallShield General information about this application

It seems that is problem in uninstallation of Urnik.exe application.

I put a flag /qn for silent uninstallation but it seems that application didn't exist for given GUID. And it didn't uninstall this application so when I come back to install fresh application it offers me to remove the application allready installed so I remove it and then nothing happen (what is expected).

How I can find GUID of this installed application - to find the right one?

This GUID I copied from InstallShield General information about this application

Problem solved :-)

Removed this row for uninstalling Urnik and instead of that I put it to install it again - which is uninstall really and then I install it again. Not the most elegant solution but I will polish it somehow.

Thanks!

This is the changes I saw if you are still interested. I saw that you were using single quotes on a commandline which ComSpec would not like.

; Declare variables
Global $clientInstalled, $msdeInstalled, $serverInstalled

_ReadRegistry()

MsgBox(4096, "Debug", "serverInstalled="&$serverInstalled&", clientInstalled="&$clientInstalled&", msdeInstalled="&$msdeInstalled);

If ($serverInstalled = "1" OR $clientInstalled = "1") Then

RegDelete("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Metronik\Metronik.Timetable")
    RegDelete("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice")

EndIf

_ReadRegistry()

If ($msdeInstalled <> "1") Then

If ($serverInstalled = "1") Then

;Install MSDE 2000
        RunWait(@COMSPEC & " /c " & @ScriptDir & '/MSDE2000/Setup.exe SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD="MyPWD" TARGETDIR="C:\Metronik\MSDE\DB" DATADIR="C:\Metronik\MSDE\Data" DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0', "", @SW_HIDE)

;Write MSDEInstalled="1" into registry
        RegWrite("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled", "IsInstalled", "REG_SZ", "1")

EndIf

;If MSDE is installed and user picked CLIENT installation (ClientInstalled="1") -> Remove MSDE
ElseIf ($clientInstalled = "1") Then

;Uninstall MSDE 2000

RegDelete("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled")

EndIf

Func _ReadRegistry()
    ;Read value from registry key to check if SERVER is allready installed (ServerInstalled="1")
    $serverInstalled = RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice", "ServerInstalled")

;Read value from registry key  to check if CLIENT is allready installed (ClientInstalled="1")
    $clientInstalled = RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Metronik\SetupChoice", "ClientInstalled")

;Read value from registry key to check if MSDE 2000 is installed (MSDEInstalled="1")
    $msdeInstalled = RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Metronik\MSDEInstalled", "IsInstalled")
EndFunc