Creating Bar Graphs in AutoIt GUI

Here is my attempt to create a bar graph within the AutoIt GUI. (I know that it is also possible to graph things externally using excel.com).

Any improvements or suggestions are welcome.

;~ This can be used to create a Graph from the values in an array, using GUICtrlCreateProgress
;~ This only works properly in Windows XP if the style is set to "Windows Classic style" (otherwise the Progress Bar Style will be an ugly segmented type)
;~ To set this: Right mouse click on the Windows Desktop, Properties, Appearance, change "Windows and Buttons" to "Windows Classic style", "OK"

;constants that are required to create a GUI
#include <GUIConstants.au3>

;dimensions arrays where some numbers will be stored
Dim $arraynums[250]
Dim $progressbar[250]

;assigns random numbers to an array, so that we have something to graph
For $x = 1 To 249
   $arraynums[$x] = Random(41, 76, 1);Random ( [Min [, Max [, Flag]]] );flag 1 = integer
Next

;creates a GUI of a specified name, size, and location
GUICreate("Graph Some Random Numbers...", 1270, 80, 1, 200)

;parameters for bar positions, maximum height, spacing, width, color
$rightcoord = 10
$downcoord = 10
$height = 50
$rightspacing = 5
$barwidth = 12
$color1 = 32250;blue =32250

;creates the adjacent Progress Bar controls, which will be used to graph the numbers
For $x = 1 To 249
   $progressbar[$x] = GUICtrlCreateProgress( ($rightcoord) + ($rightspacing * $x), $downcoord, $barwidth, $height, $PBS_SMOOTH + $PBS_VERTICAL)
   GUICtrlSetColor(-1, $color1)
Next

;draws the Progress Bars at heights corresponding to the numbers in the array
For $x = 1 To 249
   GUICtrlSetData($progressbar[$x], $arraynums[$x])
Next

;displays the GUI
GUISetState()

;display until closed
Do
   $msg = GUIGetMsg()
Until $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
"I've seen your work in the past, and it's novice at best..." SmOke_N

The DLL Call didn't work here... nothing changed. :whistle:

[quote name='Valik' post='301213' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:36 PM']You seem to have a habit of putting things in the wrong place. I feel sorry for any female you attempt to have sex with.[/quote][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/font]

Here is my attempt to create a bar graph within the AutoIt GUI. (I know that it is also possible to graph things externally using excel.com).

Any improvements or suggestions are welcome.

I like this script - good job! Consider using Labels instead of Progress bars to avoid that problem with XP progress bars. Just set the Background color to some color (I used blue in the below script).

;~ This can be used to create a Graph from the values in an array, using Labels with their background color set to blue
#include <GUIConstants.au3>

;~ It wouldn't be hard to modify this script to pass the numbers from parameters at runtime - In this case replace $NumBars with @NumParams and parse the parameters to find the Maximum parameter's number for $MaxNum
$NumBars = InputBox("Number of bars","Enter the number of bars you want","25")
$MaxNum = InputBox("Max value","Enter the maximum value you want the random data to have",250)

;~ You could keep this as a prompt before the graph is displayed, have a checkbox in the GUI that turns them on and off (by a for...next loop GUICtrlSetData()'ing each element in $TheBars[]) or by another parameter
$Labels = MsgBox(4,"Bar Labels","Do you want to display the data in the bars?")
Global $TheData[$NumBars], $TheBars[$NumBars]

;~ If you change the script to take the numbers by parameters, get rid of this section - it just creates random data.
For $i=0 To $NumBars-1
    $TheData[$i] = Random(0,$MaxNum,1)
Next

$Graph = GUICreate("Bar Graph",640,480,-1,-1,$WS_MINIMIZEBOX + $WS_MAXIMIZEBOX + $WS_SIZEBOX)
For $i=0 To $NumBars-1
    If $Labels = 6 Then
        $ThisLabel = $TheData[$i]
    Else
        $ThisLabel = " "
    EndIf

;~ This builds in a 5 pixel margin on the left and right, but none above and below.  It could be changed to include vertical margins, or write another label 20 pixels above each bar that holds the label data - that way 0 would still be a visible data label.
    $TheBars[$i] = GUICtrlCreateLabel($ThisLabel,Round(5+($i*((640-10)/$NumBars)),0),Round(480-(480*($TheData[$i]/$MaxNum)),0),Round((640-10)/$NumBars,0)-1,Round(480*($TheData[$i]/$MaxNum),0),$SS_CENTER)
    GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1,0x0000FF)
    GUICtrlSetColor(-1,0xFFFFFF)
Next
GUISetState()
Do
    Sleep(100)
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
Edit: Pasting in code between the AutoIt tags seems to work better in a quick edit than the original post (indents are more obvious), so I re-pasted it. :-) Edited by james3mg
"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

This is a good idea, works far better with the DllCall on XP

@james3mg

that's a better way of doing it, you should make a udf

My Programs:AInstall - Create a standalone installer for your programUnit Converter - Converts Length, Area, Volume, Weight, Temperature and Pressure to different unitsBinary Clock - Hours, minutes and seconds have 10 columns each to display timeAutoIt Editor - Code Editor with Syntax Highlighting.Laserix Editor & Player - Create, Edit and Play Laserix LevelsLyric Syncer - Create and use Synchronised Lyrics.Connect 4 - 2 Player Connect 4 Game (Local or Online!, Formatted Chat!!)MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, Tiger and Whirlpool Hash Finder - Dictionary and Brute Force FindCool Text Client - Create Rendered ImageMy UDF's:GUI Enhance - Enhance your GUIs visually.IDEA File Encryption - Encrypt and decrypt files easily! File Rename - Rename files easilyRC4 Text Encryption - Encrypt text using the RC4 AlgorithmPrime Number - Check if a number is primeString Remove - remove lots of strings at onceProgress Bar - made easySound UDF - Play, Pause, Resume, Seek and Stop.

• 1 year later...

Further to Automan Empires original script, here is a small function using the same method - but with dynamically generated window size etc.

; Get some constants!
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <ProgressConstants.au3>

; Some test data
Dim $inputdata[50]
for $i = 0 to ubound($inputdata)-1
    $inputdata[$i] = random(0,100)
Next

; Draw the graph
drawgraph($inputdata)

; Function to draw a graph (modified
Func DrawGraph ($inputdataarray)

; Define colour scheme
    Local $col_winbackground   = 0x424242      ; Windows background colour
    Local $col_graphbar        = 0x338b31      ; Graph bar colour
    Local $col_graphtext       = 0x7b7b7b      ; Graph text colour

; Define amount of plots on X axis
    $x_plots = ubound($inputdataarray)

; Define graph display parameters
    $margin_x  = 10     ; X margin
    $margin_y  = 10     ; Y margin
    $barheight = 60     ; Height of progress bar
    $barwidth  = 9      ; Width of progress bar
    $bartrim   = 2      ; Overlap for the bars (usually 1 or 2)

; Define array for progress bar handles
    Dim $progressbar[$x_plots]

; Define array for holding the plot data
    Dim $plotdata[$x_plots]

; Create the GUI
    GUICreate("Graph", (($margin_x*2) + (($barwidth-$bartrim)*$x_plots)), 80)
    GUISetBkColor($col_winbackground)

; Create the bars of the graph
    For $x = 0 To $x_plots-1
        $progressbar[$x] = GuiCtrlCreateProgress ( $margin_x + ( $x * ( $barwidth - $bartrim ) ), $margin_y, $barwidth, $barheight, $PBS_SMOOTH + $PBS_VERTICAL)
        GuiCtrlSetColor($progressbar[$x], $col_graphbar)
        GUICtrlSetData($progressbar[$x], random(0,100))
    Next

; Display the GUI
    GUISetState()

; Loop until we close
    Do
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Until $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

EndFunc
Edited by JonnyThunder