DOTA - Warcraft 3 TFT - Banlist

1) Yes, I know that I am too old for video games.

1a) If you are already familiary with DOTA & Warcraft 3 TFT & Banlist, you can skip to the section titled, My Goal.

2) If you are not already familiar with WC3 TFT, feel free to visit http://www.blizzard.com/war3/

3) If you are not already familiar with DOTA, feel free to visit http://www.dota-allstars.com/

4) Also, WC3 Banlist http://www.wc3banlist.de/

5) And, http://www.banlist.nl/

In short, the game Warcraft 3 (the Frozen Throne), has a custom map called DOTA (Defense of the Ancients) that has become popular. A common problem in these client-hosted games, is leavers. People join the game, then when they are losing, etc. they just leave. It would be like someone from the Chicago Bulls just leaving in the first quarter, and never coming back. And, you have no substitutes, so once some one leaves, the game is ruined. Otherwise, its an awesomely fun game.

In an attempt to fix this problem, a third party has designed a banlist, and a is now developing a good list. The goodlist aims to replace the banlist, because they decided that the banlist is the best idea. The leavers simply create new accounts so we can't detect them. Blizzard, the game makers, should enforce an accounts per cdkey ratio.

Therefore, eventually, they will switch to a new system. Instead of penalizing the leavers, we want to give points to the non-leaving, good players. By doing so, you see who is worthy to be allowed in the game, during the pre-game. This makes account creation for leavers useless.

My Goal:

In the meantime, we need a more viable solution for leavers. Because of the account creation, and Blizzard's lack of a cd-key system, the only viable solution currently is to log IP addresses and assign a status to that IP.

What I would like to be able to do, just on my own system, is to be able to log the connection IP's, if they leave during the game - assign a value to them, and if they try joining a game that I host in the future to notify me of it, before I start the game.

What I think it will take:

1) Knowing how to log the incoming IP's

2) Saving them in some type of database.

3) Create a way to know when that IP drops prematurely.

4) Assign a value like, "leaver" to that IP address.

5) Create a function that checks connected IP addresses prior to launching a new game.

Problem:

1) I don't know how to do any of this! Lols. I am willing to put in the effort, but I will need some help. What kind of direction can you give me?

2) This solution is not a final answer. Of course if they have dynamic IP's, this will circumvent my attempt. However, it is one step closer.

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by litlmike

Well I too play DoTA, but Litlmike Ip's arn't the best idea. Not to say I have a better one.

A.) Static Ip's like DSL users

B.) Just about everyone know's how to renew/Release a IP

C.)Lan's With Battle.Net....; Lan's are Fed up due to there system of putting all the computers on the router under one IP.. Ah, Battle.net what a joke.

D.) See C.)^^

Jeff

Edited by Sardith

[font="Verdana"]Valik:Get it straight - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.[/font]

Well I too play DoTA, but Litlmike Ip's arn't the best idea. Not to say I have a better one.

A.) Static Ip's like DSL users

B.) Just about everyone know's how to renew/Release a IP

C.)Lan's With Battle.Net....; Lan's are Fed up due to there system of putting all the computers on the router under one IP.. Ah, Battle.net what a joke.

D.) See C.)^^

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I actually am aware of these issues, except for C, I didn't understand what you meant. But it does take banlist, one step further. It is basically shooting 2 arrows at a target, you might miss with both arrows, but you have a better chance of hitting a target with 2 attempts, than with just one.

Thanks.

A lan. Say like you have Four seperate guys, Each has there own Warcraft cdkey and Warcraft 3 account. When you plug all four computer's into you'r Router they are all under the same IP, Hence the 'lan' part of it. Say you have Mike, Bob, Joey(Lan Host), Stevey and Rick. You all join a game, Mike Decides to leave because the game isn't going his way, Which means Joey(Lan Host) has his IP set to banned along with his account, Stevey, Rick and Mike have there Accounts Banned, While Mike was the one that left the game, but since they were 'LAN' he scewed everyone over.

Hence your system needs to be re-thought.

Hope that clears it up for you.

[font="Verdana"]Valik:Get it straight - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.[/font]

A lan. Say like you have Four seperate guys, Each has there own Warcraft cdkey and Warcraft 3 account. When you plug all four computer's into you'r Router they are all under the same IP, Hence the 'lan' part of it. Say you have Mike, Bob, Joey(Lan Host), Stevey and Rick. You all join a game, Mike Decides to leave because the game isn't going his way, Which means Joey(Lan Host) has his IP set to banned along with his account, Stevey, Rick and Mike have there Accounts Banned, While Mike was the one that left the game, but since they were 'LAN' he scewed everyone over.

Hence your system needs to be re-thought.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Thank You, it does clear that up. However, I would still like to accomplish the same goal. At the very least, I could take a look at the IP and the name and make a decision. My goal isn't to ban everyone, my goal is to at least have the knowledge of those that have left from the same IP. That way, I can at least make a semi-informed decision.

With that said, how can I check the incoming IP addresses, in AutoIt? Will NetStat help? If so, how do I get that to work with AutoIt?