window captureing

I wrote a program a while ago that was SUPPOSED to capture a square of the screen and save it to an image file. I got as far as taking full sized screen shots and left it at that, mostly because of lazyness. :-P. Well... 8gb of screen shots later... I'd like to update my program or write a whole new one if need be. I was wondering if there was any way to take a screen shot of a defined square INSIDE a specific window. Like say for instance I wanted to open you 4 calculators and I wanted to record JUST the numbers box, I could run the program, and it would start grabbing the square screen shots from that specific box in that specific window no matter where the window is. Perhaps this is outside of AutoIt's reach... but I hope not. ;-). Also is there any way to take screen shots of a window when the window is not infront, like say its a window that updates while behind other windows, what would be a BIG difference aswell in how the program is designed, and is pretty much a must have. Thx in advanced.

Ooo Ëxçã¿îbúr ooO"Information Is Not Knowledge." ~Albert Einstein

Have a look http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/Lazycat/dlls.html for the answer to capturing a part of the screen.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time ......T.S. Elliot
Suspense is worse than disappointment................Robert Burns
God help the man who won't help himself, because no-one else will...........My Grandmother

Well actually... I know how to capture part of the screen, even part of a specific window, based on the window location and so forth. The only thing I cant figure out is how to capture a window when its minimized, or something like that. When its not Visible. I have herd of this being possible when using OpenGL, you could capture the current content of an OpenGL application, or something to that effect. Though I belive thats an OpenGL graphics kinda thing. I found this after doing some research.

Ooo Ëxçã¿îbúr ooO"Information Is Not Knowledge." ~Albert Einstein

Larry used this example in another thread and it works. Grab the nearest book to you and open it to page 10. Now read the text on page 20. How's that working out?

As for why OpenGL supports something like that, I would assume the framebuffer where OGL prepares display is being read. It works because OGL still fills the framebuffer, it's just the framebuffer is never copied to the screen.

• Moderators

Larry used this example in another thread and it works. Grab the nearest book to you and open it to page 10. Now read the text on page 20. How's that working out?

That's still funny :whistle:

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.