Working with tray icons...

Guest bjaber

Guest bjaber

Hi,

I'm a newbie to AutoIT and I was wondering if I could get some assistance.

I have an application that is running in the tray (as an icon) but not in the taskbar. I can successfully "see" the running window (WinExist), but I want to "right-click" it and select "Exit" from the menu.

I don't think mouse coordinates will work for me as the many thousands of users would have different screen resolutions, task bar placements/sizes, etc.

Is there a way to "activate" a tray icon, right-click it, and then select an entry from the resultant right-click menu?

Kind regards,

--Basim S. Jaber

iPass Inc.

Guest bjaber

Major bummer. So far, I've not been able to find any scripting utility that can (I tried WinBatch and now AutoIT). Anyone have any suggestions?

--Basim

There are two reasons why you probably won't find any way to maninpulate a tray icon directly:

1) It's a freaking bitch to write code to do this. Unlike a lot of things, Microsoft did not supply programmers with a way to do this so it requires nasty little hacks and other tricks ending up with a large amount of confusing code for a "simple" feature.

2) 85% (in my experienced at least) of programs that have a tray icon also have a window that can be used to do everything that clicking the icon can do.