Question(s); AutoIt & a LCD Screen

First off, i'd like to thank the AutoIt community for helping 'me' this far along in my AutoIt coding...

The other day I was thinking to my self, it's time to take on a new project. Thusly, I created a list of possible projects and one of the ten made it to the top of the project(s) list.

I've done a few searches so far on this site, to see if there were any previous projects like mine, which my returns seemed to point to a no. So I wanted to know, is it possible to write to a standard character LCD in AutoIt...; For lack of a better wording.

From there I came up with a list.

The budget is something of $100-200 dollars.

**1. Is it possible to create a AutoItscript to say write cpu temps from a existing program temp. monitoring program (Motherboard Monitor 5) , or write messages to a LCD.

1. I wanted to know if someone could recomend a

standard character LCD

2. A pin-out guide or controller for the LCD to computer (RS-232 Converters?)

3. Guidance with a script or where to get started..

Jeff

Edited by Sardith

[font="Verdana"]Valik:Get it straight - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.[/font]

Little edit. Im looking at http://www.crystalfontz.com for a LCD.

They have a few examples in C++ So Id guess it's very possible to do it in AutoIt.. so I think. (little do I know though)

If anyone would like to take a look at the examples, to tell me if it's possible let me know.

Jeff

[font="Verdana"]Valik:Get it straight - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.[/font]

Little edit. Im looking at http://www.crystalfontz.com for a LCD.

They have a few examples in C++ So Id guess it's very possible to do it in AutoIt.. so I think. (little do I know though)

LCD looks good. Take a look at http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/. It's free and provides a DLL. You can use it with DllCall()....

Cheers

Kurt

Edited by /dev/null

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

Thanks alot Kurt. I will be looking into that for sure. At this time im not sure what LCD.. If I want a graphical or what I want to do. What I need to do more research on, is method of connecting to the computer. LPT, USB or the other choices. Crystal Front states that, they don't want you to use a Grapichal LCD with a LPT or USB, for other then debugging the screen/testing. They want a more 'permanent' solution... which they don't care to state what one would, also what comes along with that is, you lose tech-support and their part failure guaranty. So i'll be calling about those questions.

Jeff

Thanks alot Kurt. I will be looking into that for sure. At this time im not sure what LCD.. If I want a graphical or what I want to do. What I need to do more research on, is method of connecting to the computer. LPT, USB or the other choices. Crystal Front states that, they don't want you to use a Grapichal LCD with a LPT or USB, for other then debugging the screen/testing. They want a more 'permanent' solution... which they don't care to state what one would, also what comes along with that is, you lose tech-support and their part failure guaranty. So i'll be calling about those questions.

Jeff

why not get something like this.

http://videoguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...ry_Code=Gadgets

---"Educate the Mind, Make Savage the Body" -Mao Tse Tung

Most LCD displays are standardised these days, with 2 lines by 16 characters being very common and only costing between ten and twenty dollars/Euros. They accept 4 or 8 bit input data at 5v, and some of them will interface directly to a printer port or use a PIC controller to talk to a serial bus such as the I2C bus on board some motherboards. If you need RS232C, use a voltage translator chip such as a MAX232 or a couple of pullup resistors and a transistor/FET. Most electronics magazines have published designs recently, so a visit to your local library may be of help if you cannot find anything on the Internet - Google is your friend. Temperature sensors are only a few cents and can be directly interfaced to the display, so no software is required.

For all the fooling around, it is often easier to install a pre-built unit, unless you have the time and patience to re-invent the wheel and get satisfaction from doing so.

Most LCD displays are standardised these days, with 2 lines by 16 characters being very common and only costing between ten and twenty dollars/Euros. They accept 4 or 8 bit input data at 5v, and some of them will interface directly to a printer port or use a PIC controller to talk to a serial bus such as the I2C bus on board some motherboards. If you need RS232C, use a voltage translator chip such as a MAX232 or a couple of pullup resistors and a transistor/FET. Most electronics magazines have published designs recently, so a visit to your local library may be of help if you cannot find anything on the Internet - Google is your friend. Temperature sensors are only a few cents and can be directly interfaced to the display, so no software is required.

For all the fooling around, it is often easier to install a pre-built unit, unless you have the time and patience to re-invent the wheel and get satisfaction from doing so.

Yes, I agree about the pre-built ones. But my mother board DFI Ultra lanparty nf4, which is overclocked with a custom Danger Den watercooling build up, so this is one more project to add to it. Im looking at a Graphical LCD at this point. Printer port isn't a choice with this mother board, it's Either USB or nothing. Which sorta put's the project in a place I didn't want to go. I can't seem to find any graphical LCDs that use USB.

Jeff

Little update. The LCD I want is 109$, but they don't support usb or serial for that graphical model, so it looks like im going to have to get a 224$ model. Im looking for Graphic LCD Modules. If any one has some recomendations let me know. www.crystalfontz.com one that I want (109$) they won't exaplain the pin-layout and how to wire it up... so.

109$

109$ Graphical

224$

224$ Graphical

Does anyone have any idea's of how to grab information from mother board monitor 5?

Little Update. Selling a few things to bring in some funds.

Still looking at how to retrive info from MBM5, if anyone could help that would be great.