question about automating excel

Hello group,

I was trying to use Excel to open a tab delimited text file. The applicable method is Workbooks.OpenText and the syntax is:

OpenText(FileName, Origin, StartRow, DataType, TextQualifier, ConsecutiveDelimiter, Tab, Semicolon, Comma, Space, Other, OtherChar, FieldInfo, TextVisualLayout, DecimalSeparator, ThousandsSeparator, TrailingMinusNumbers, Local)

Where I'm having trouble is the argument for FieldInfo. In VBA, the argument is something like this: Array(Array(1, 2), Array(2, 2), Array(3, 2) ...). In each nested array, the first item is the column number (1 based), the second item (2) is for data type. Here 2 is for Text.

I tried something like this:

Dim $array[256][2]

Dim $i

For $i = 0 To 255

$array[$i][0] = $i+1

$array[$i][1] = 2

Next

and pass $array as the FieldInfo argument. Excel fails to open the text file, but no error was reported. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

wcc

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, it is not possible to pass arrays (let alone 2 dimensional arrays) via AutoIt to COM objects through method parameters.

The best solution I can think of is to omit the parameter or use the "Default" keyword to skip over it -- then format the appropriate columns after the import.

-S

(Yet Another) ExcelCOM UDF"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly...[indent]...specialization is for insects." - R. A. Heinlein[/indent]

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, it is not possible to pass arrays (let alone 2 dimensional arrays) via AutoIt to COM objects through method parameters.

The best solution I can think of is to omit the parameter or use the "Default" keyword to skip over it -- then format the appropriate columns after the import.

-S

Have you tried? I'm pretty sure there's an AutoIt array to SAFEARRAY conversion that takes place.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I had the same problem and here is how I solved that problem:

;This is the initial VB line for delimited text file

;Array(Array(0, 2), Array( _

;7, 2), Array(41, 2), Array(47, 2), Array(61, 1), Array(98, 1), Array(99, 1))

Here is the solution for AutoIt

dim $Array1[2]=[0,2]

dim $Array2[2]=[7,2]

dim $Array3[2]=[41,2]

dim $Array4[2]=[47,2]

dim $Array5[2]=[61,1]

dim $Array6[2]=[98,1]

dim $Array7[2]=[99,1]

dim $ArrayComplet[7]=[$Array1,$Array2,$Array3,$Array4,$Array5,$Array6,$Array7]

;----------------------------------------------------------------;

.workbooks.opentext($SetLeaf,$xlwindows,1,$xlFixedWidth,$xlTextQualifierNone,False,False,False,False,False,False,"",$ArrayComplet)

Hope it helps.

• 5 years later...

This thread is nearly 6 years old!

AutoIt has evolved during this time so the solutiong might be completely different.

Please open a new thread describing your problem. If necessary point to this thread.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki