_IEFormElementSetValue from IE.au3 UDF not working on file types!

Ok I'm very very frustrated trying to make this work. I don't know whats wrong! Look at this script.

$oIE = _IE_Example ("form")
$o_form = _IEFormGetObjByName($oIE, "ExampleForm")
$o_file = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($o_form, "fileExample")
_IEFormElementSetValue($o_file, "test")

What this is supposed to do is set the value "test" to the browse file area. But for some damn reason it stays blank! Please help me out!

[font="Fixedsys"][size="3"][u][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"] [/font][/u][/size][/font]

Unfortunately it is a security restriction in the browser -- you cannot script INPUT TYPE=FILE elements. I had a documentation update submitted to explain this, but it missed the release some how -- we'll get it in soon.

Here is what will be added to help:

Note: You cannot use _IEFormElementSetValue to set the value of an INPUT TYPE=FILE element. Browser security restrictions prevent this element from being scripted. See the example below for a workaround.

; *******************************************************
; Example 4 - Set the value of an INPUT TYPE=FILE element
;               (security restrictions prevent using _IEFormElementSetValue)
; *******************************************************
;
#include <IE.au3>

$oIE = _IE_Example("form")
$oForm = _IEFormGetObjByName($oIE, "ExampleForm")
$oInputFile = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($oForm, "fileExample")

; Assign input focus to the field and then send the text string
_IEAction($oInputFile, "focus")
Send("C:\myfile.txt")

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Wow thanks for clearing that up...I spent like 2 hours going "WTF?!". Ok now one more question. Is "Send()" reliable for this? Can we still do the Send when IE is created in hidden mode? Will my own typing change the Element value? And is there an alternative for Send that is similar to ControlSetText or something? Please help me answer those questions! And thanks a lot DaleHohm, you've helped me out a lot.

[font="Fixedsys"][size="3"][u][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"] [/font][/u][/size][/font]

Yes, you can use ControlSend instead of Send.

ControlSend(_IEPropertyGet($oIE, "hwnd"), "", "", "Your Text")

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Ok ty a lot. If there are any other ways you can enter text into file types or any other special notes, please state them and add them to the helpfile in the next update. Ty.

You have to give it focus first... see example above:

_IEAction($oInputFile, "focus")

Dale