Cannot save ini

I have a script that relies on an ini file, but the computer will not allow the ini to be altered on limited accounts. This is very annoying. Can someone tell me what policy I need to change and how to do so? Thanks.

*edit* this is on win xp

Edited by KnowledgeSponge

If there's not additional protection (such as 3rd party applications that set the read only attribute on an administrator level or something) you should be able to place your ini file into a shared folder. I have a script that is a crude version of a child timer, so to speak. The configuration file for it is a text file, but I couldn't keep it where the script is located, since it's in an administrator's personal documents. Limited users can't access it there. Instead, if you create a new folder that all users have shared read/write access to, they can read from the ini. I used C:\Public as a folder on my system, for example.

You can also try and do something fancy with RunAsSet, and run a DOS copy command as the administrator to copy this ini file. You could make changes to the file once it's in a directory the limited user has access to. Then, you could use the RunAsSet to an administrator account again, and copy the ini file back so that your user cannot modify the ini file directally. Just be sure the time between the copy and delete isn't long enough for the user to edit the ini file him/herself.

Minor Edit

Edited by pekster

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

Hmm interesting approach... I may attempt it. Right now I just changed it to have the script create an ini file for each user individually in order to get around it with some winclose's etc adlib'd and ctrl alt del turned off in policies. I will see if I can get that to work your way pekster. Sounds like it would be more secure.