Get your torrent on!

jamesband

So, I was having a problem a couple of years ago. My wife and kids had taken over the Tivo and I was not always able to get my shows. So, I started looking online. I found what I wanted in Torrent sites. This was great, I could get my shows when they had been forced off the Tivo's schedule. I found myself using it more and more, as my shows were more and more giving way to the others. So, like a good little script kitty, I wrote a script. The first script worked well but, not using regular expressions, it didn't have the flexibility that I really felt it needed. So, after a couple of months I totally rewrote it using regular expressions and XML objects! I have been using it for quite a while and it has performed well. If you decide to use it, just remember - GIGO. The quality of the results is totally dependent on the quality of the torrent site and the quality of the expression used to search it.

SOURCE INCLUDED, NO EXECUTABLES -- Zipped because I can't upload INI file.

Download it, play with it, tweak it, enjoy it! -- a 'Torrents' folder is req'd in the same folder as the script, as this is where the torrent files are placed.

This script gets the torrent (tracker) file, it does not interface with any torrent manager/downloader!

This script is for educational purposes only. This script can be used as an example of XML and Regular Expressions in AutoIT.

Lotsa luv to the folks in the forum here, I learned all the basics here! I may have even theived snippets! (if i didn't give you props... I am really sorry!)

PS - There are keys in the ini that are not used, at one time I had planned to pull in episode info, but I abandonded it when I changed from myHTPC to MediaPortal. MediaPortal doesn't make it easy to add episode info.

MiniNova___Object.zip

2006-08-19 -- ABORT - Download aborted...  received 0 bytes in 2008.64856701126 seconds

It only waited about 3 seconds though

hmmm.... Which version of AutoIt you sporting? (I realize I didn't post this, but I am using the latest beta.)

Also, pop the link below into your Internet Explorer and see if you get a screen full of XML:

http://www.mininova.org/rss.xml?cat=8&num=99

---------------------

I had a quick look at the code and it is not using any includes outside those that come with the beta... er... I think.

Edited by jamesband

It dl's the xml file too, but the torrent directory stays blank

EDIT: 3.2.0.1

Yeah... Change line #54 from sleep(2000) to sleep(10000)

This while/wend loop monitors the download of the rss file so that if there is no headway, it exits the script.

The above edit changes the wait time from 2 secs to 10 secs, you can play with it and see what happens.

Something important to note: It will not always download torrent files, as newer episodes are not always available. To test, you need to change episode info in the ini file for an entry that you know is in the rss file. (However, there apparently is a new episode of SG Atlantis available at the moment.)

Edited by jamesband

Yeah... Change line #54 from sleep(2000) to sleep(10000)

This while/wend loop monitors the download of the rss file so that if there is no headway, it exits the script.

The above edit changes the wait time from 2 secs to 10 secs, you can play with it and see what happens.

Something important to note: It will not always download torrent files, as newer episodes are not always available. To test, you need to change episode info in the ini file for an entry that you know is in the rss file. (However, there apparently is a new episode of SG Atlantis available at the moment.)

I changed it. I get this error:

2006-08-25 -- ABORT - Download aborted... received 0 bytes in 9987.75311896945 seconds

Okay, changed line5 again, now get this:

2006-08-25 -- Big Brother - 7x22 -- Big Brother US S07E22 PDTV XviD-FQM [eztv] Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:37:11 +0200

Should I just keep increasing the time?

ViM

Edited by vim

I changed it. I get this error:

2006-08-25 -- ABORT - Download aborted... received 0 bytes in 9987.75311896945 seconds

Okay, changed line5 again, now get this:

2006-08-25 -- Big Brother - 7x22 -- Big Brother US S07E22 PDTV XviD-FQM [eztv] Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:37:11 +0200

Should I just keep increasing the time?

ViM

nope... this means that it got the RSS file and successfully parsed it. It found the Big Brother Ep you reported.

so, this being said... you should check the torrents folder, there should be one in there. you oughtta know what to do with that.

You need to edit the ini file and for your preferences.

• 1 month later...

well... i have been having problems with the script on and off at times...

there is not much I can do about the downloading... if the rss feed doesn't download, there is nothing that can be done.

however, I get xml related errors and they come in huge blocks... it seems that there are often illegal chars in the <description>...</description> nodes, so I added some code to simply remove the nodes, since the script doesn't use the info.

the verifyrss() function now looks like this:

Func verifyrss($rssfn)

$rsslen = filegetsize($rssfn)
    $rssdata = fileread($rssfn, $rsslen)

if (stringinstr($rssdata, "<rss") = 1 and stringinstr($rssdata, "</rss>") > 1) then
                ; good rss grab
                ; remove the descriptions, as they often contain illegal chars
                $rssdata = StringRegExpReplace($rssdata, "<description>.*?</description>", "<description />") 
                ;save the modified rss back to the file
                FileWrite($rssfn, $rssdata) 
                return 0
    else
                ; bad rss grab
                return 1
    endif

EndFunc

• 6 months later...

I just saw this and thought I should add a quick comment. i used to use torrent files alot before I got a warning from my ISP for using them...

[center][/center]Working on the next big thing.Currently Playing: Halo 4, League of LegendsXBL GT: iRememberYhslaw