Avoid multiple process starts?

Hi, I have a program that constantly crashes for reasons that I'm not sure of (00Thothey.exe), so I decided to make a program to start it back up as a temporary fix. However, my problem occurs while Windows is starting up.

Both this program and 00Thotkey start up at Windows.

If this program starts up before 00Thotkey, then it will check the processes, see that 00Thotkey isn't there, and start it up. After that, 00Thotkey will also start up from the registry. Then there will be 2 00Thotkey processes open.

As a temporary fix, I added a "sleep for 3 minutes" command as a rough approximation so that 00Thotkey has time to start up in case this program does first. Is there a better way to solve this problem? My code is at the bottom. (And I'm new to AutoIT and programming, so don't be too harsh :P )

#NoTrayIcon

Sleep(180000);Sleep in case system is starting up
HotKeySet("^!{F1}", "THotkeyStart")

;--------include Process.au3-------
Func _RunDOS($sCommand)
    Return RunWait(@ComSpec & " /C " & $sCommand, "", @SW_HIDE)
EndFunc
;----------------------------------

Func THotkeyStart()
dim $msg1
$msg1 = MsgBox( 36, "Start hotkey", "Do you want to start 00THotkey.exe?")

If $msg1=6 Then 
_RunDOS("start C:\windows\system32\00Thotkey.exe")
EndIf

If $msg1=7 Then 
sleep(1)
EndIf

EndFunc

;Auto monitor
While 1
    Sleep(7000);Save CPU
    If Not ProcessExists("00Thotkey.exe") Then
        _RunDOS("start C:\windows\system32\00Thotkey.exe")
    EndIf
WEnd

not bad..., just cleaned up a little

#NoTrayIcon

;Auto monitor
While 1
    Sleep(7000);Save CPU
    If Not ProcessExists("00Thotkey.exe") Then
        Run(@ComSpec & " /C start C:\windows\system32\00Thotkey.exe", "", @SW_HIDE)
    EndIf
WEnd

Func THotkeyStart()
    Local $msg1 = MsgBox( 36, "Start hotkey", "Do you want to start 00THotkey.exe?")
    If $msg1=6 Then Run(@ComSpec & " /C start C:\windows\system32\00Thotkey.exe", "", @SW_HIDE)
EndFunc

8)

NEWHeader1.png

You could try to replace the long sleep with a ProcessWait.

I noticed that you use _RunDos to launch the program, when you could just simply use Run

instead. Also, you could make your If's to just single-liners by doing something like this :

If $msg1=7 Then sleep(1)

Btw...do you have a Toshiba computer ? If not then you should check out this link :

http://www.justtext.com/processes-tasks/00thotkey-exe.html

I just searched _Singleton on the forums for information about it and I saw that it will prevent multiple proceses from being loaded. But however if this program starts up first and _singleton does not see 00Thotkey.exe because it didn't open yet, then it will still start up the process again and i will have 2 00Thotkey.exe processes running again (unless _singleton does something else and I misread the posts). And thanks for cleaning up my program/ the suggestions. And yes I use a Toshiba laptop. 00Thotkey is a program from Toshiba which controls the special keys on the keyboard which is why I it bothers me when it crashes :P

What I'm thinking of doing is checking if 00Thotkey is running at the beginning, and if it isn't, wait until it IS running and then keep checking if it is active or not (since 00Thotkey does not crash at startup)

maybe

#NoTrayIcon
Dim $is_running = 0

;Auto monitor
While 1
    Sleep(7000);Save CPU
    If $is_running And Not ProcessExists("00Thotkey.exe") Then
        Run(@ComSpec & " /C start C:\windows\system32\00Thotkey.exe", "", @SW_HIDE)
    EndIf
WEnd

Func THotkeyStart()
    Local $msg1 = MsgBox( 36, "Start hotkey", "Do you want to start 00THotkey.exe?")
    If $msg1=6 Then Run(@ComSpec & " /C start C:\windows\system32\00Thotkey.exe", "", @SW_HIDE)
    $is_running = 1
EndFunc

once the hot is is pressed... then it will start checking

8)

Edited by Valuater

NEWHeader1.png

Valuater.. I think you need some sleep. You're running "comspec", which again runs "start"

which finally run "00Thotkey.exe". Why not just run "00Thotkey.exe" immediatelly ? :P

Now, brush your teeth and go straight to the bed !

Edit : I knew there were something wrong with this post...start is a parameter for comspec.

Seems like it's time for me to go to bed as well...

Edited by Helge