creating a system tray icon chart

I want to make a minimal system monitoring tool that shows information in an icon in the system tray.

If I wanted to make it show one piece of information, such as the CPU%, I could do this by having say 10 icons, and setting the tray icon to be whichever one shows the correct percentage.

However, if I wanted to show two pieces of information I would require many more icon files to show all possible combinations, which would be impracticale.

What I'd like to do is find a way of combing two smaller pictures (each say 8x16) depending on the information I want to display, and then setting the system tray icon to be that dynamically generated picture.

I've had a look for command line image editting software and had no luck. There is something called image magick, but I don't know if it'll do what I want and its over 20mb. I also tried

copy /b image1.bmp+image2.bmp image3.bmp

which I thought was a long shot and it didn't work.

So has anybody got any ideas about how to do this? Or should I be approaching this in a completely different way?

Edited by sjorrel

Hi,

why not using a ToolTip and show it on the screen where you want it to be? Would be much easier to update the tooltip.

So long,

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Not sure you can do what your asking the way your asking, however...

My only suggestion would be to make seperate EXEs for each of the 'monitoring app' like modules. This way you could make a bunch of different apps and run only the ones you want to use...

Create a GUI front end that displays all the 'modules' and launches/quits them

Sean Shrum :: http://www.shrum.net

All my published AU3-based apps and utilities

'Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot'

Hi,

would this be pretty?

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#Include <Date.au3>

$hwnd = GUICreate("Text Region",700,250,-1,-1,$WS_POPUP,BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST,$WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW))
GUISetBkColor(0x00FF00)
Send("#m")
GUISetState()

While 1
$rgn = CreateTextRgn($hwnd, _Now() ,50,"Arial",1000)
SetWindowRgn($hwnd,$rgn)
Sleep(500)
WEnd

Func SetWindowRgn($h_win, $rgn)
    DllCall("user32.dll", "long", "SetWindowRgn", "hwnd", $h_win, "long", $rgn, "int", 1)
EndFunc

Func CreateTextRgn(ByRef $CTR_hwnd,$CTR_Text,$CTR_height,$CTR_font="Microsoft Sans Serif",$CTR_weight=1000)
    Local Const $ANSI_CHARSET = 0
    Local Const $OUT_CHARACTER_PRECIS = 2
    Local Const $CLIP_DEFAULT_PRECIS = 0
    Local Const $PROOF_QUALITY = 2
    Local Const $FIXED_PITCH = 1
    Local Const $RGN_XOR = 3

If $CTR_font = "" Then $CTR_font = "Microsoft Sans Serif"
    If $CTR_weight = -1 Then $CTR_weight = 1000
    Local $gdi_dll = DLLOpen("gdi32.dll")
    Local $CTR_hDC= DLLCall("user32.dll","int","GetDC","hwnd",$CTR_hwnd)
    Local $CTR_hMyFont = DLLCall($gdi_dll,"hwnd","CreateFont","int",$CTR_height,"int",0,"int",0,"int",0, _
                "int",$CTR_weight,"int",0,"int",0,"int",0,"int",$ANSI_CHARSET,"int",$OUT_CHARACTER_PRECIS, _
                "int",$CLIP_DEFAULT_PRECIS,"int",$PROOF_QUALITY,"int",$FIXED_PITCH,"str",$CTR_font )
    Local $CTR_hOldFont = DLLCall($gdi_dll,"hwnd","SelectObject","int",$CTR_hDC[0],"hwnd",$CTR_hMyFont[0])
    DLLCall($gdi_dll,"int","BeginPath","int",$CTR_hDC[0])
    DLLCall($gdi_dll,"int","TextOut","int",$CTR_hDC[0],"int",0,"int",0,"str",$CTR_Text,"int",StringLen($CTR_Text))
    DLLCall($gdi_dll,"int","EndPath","int",$CTR_hDC[0])
    Local $CTR_hRgn1 = DLLCall($gdi_dll,"hwnd","PathToRegion","int",$CTR_hDC[0])
    Local $CTR_rc = DLLStructCreate("int;int;int;int")
    DLLCall($gdi_dll,"int","GetRgnBox","hwnd",$CTR_hRgn1[0],"ptr",DllStructGetPtr($CTR_rc))
    Local $CTR_hRgn2 = DLLCall($gdi_dll,"hwnd","CreateRectRgnIndirect","ptr",DllStructGetPtr($CTR_rc))
    DLLCall($gdi_dll,"int","CombineRgn","hwnd",$CTR_hRgn2[0],"hwnd",$CTR_hRgn2[0],"hwnd",$CTR_hRgn1[0],"int",$RGN_XOR)
    DLLCall($gdi_dll,"int","DeleteObject","hwnd",$CTR_hRgn1[0])
    DLLCall("user32.dll","int","ReleaseDC","hwnd",$CTR_hwnd,"int",$CTR_hDC[0])
    DLLCall($gdi_dll,"int","SelectObject","int",$CTR_hDC[0],"hwnd",$CTR_hOldFont[0])
    DLLClose($gdi_dll)
    Return $CTR_hRgn2[0]
EndFunc

So long,

Mega

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

nice Dll'ing ... mega

8)

HI,

:"> Larry did that.

So long,

Mega

But it is never bad to show this in forum, so that other people see it, too. :P