Othello

igadget

You know, when I was first introduced to AutoIT about 2 year ago, I thought, 'How cute.' and moved on. What a mistake that was. I use another *cough* Automation software at work that has many features, but in reality is bulky and lags.

About 1 year ago, I finally sat down and took a look at AutoIT and was instantly hooked. The ease of designing a script to automate my job was insane (*Pat on the Back* to the designers). Though unfortunately where I work is so paranoid about using the internet that I rarely go on it, so I don't get much time to ever visit the Forum.

Anyway, whenever I get a free moment at work, I begin writing scripts to automate my life as well as my co-workers. at first, I got negative feedback from the managers about how I shouldn't use a freeware (except for the donations) piece of software that has no real support to help me with my work. I said ok and promptly disregarded them because, had they used it, they would have seen that I was not attempting to replace the other Automation Software they had, but compliment it by creating scripts that the other software could not do.

Anyway, I finished my project ahead of schedule (having recieved no compliments on the early completion) ... typical ... and wanted to see what else besides the standard SQL querying, IE and Excel manipulating it could do, and once again, I was amazed.

I quickly threw together this game, which by the way already comes with Win XP, and am putting it out here for anyone who wants to see it. When I was younger, this game was called Othello ... though now it is known as Reversi.

If anyone does not know how to play, well ... I didn't write any documentation (except whats in the code) to help you. I did add a feature that will show you where your possible moves are though so hopefully you can figure it out.

I used AutoIT v. 3.2.0.1 to write it

The individual files are here to browse

The zip has all 5 files together

Enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Note:

ver 1.5

Updated code with the ability to start a new single player game against the computer.

Othello.au3

Othello_Global.au3

Othello_TCPIP.au3

Othello_Validate.au3

Computer.au3

Othello.zip

Edited by igadget

"62% of all statistics are made up."Othello - Single Player and Multiplayer (TCP/IP)

That is Excellent for your first script. I love the game

My Programs:AInstall - Create a standalone installer for your programUnit Converter - Converts Length, Area, Volume, Weight, Temperature and Pressure to different unitsBinary Clock - Hours, minutes and seconds have 10 columns each to display timeAutoIt Editor - Code Editor with Syntax Highlighting.Laserix Editor & Player - Create, Edit and Play Laserix LevelsLyric Syncer - Create and use Synchronised Lyrics.Connect 4 - 2 Player Connect 4 Game (Local or Online!, Formatted Chat!!)MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, Tiger and Whirlpool Hash Finder - Dictionary and Brute Force FindCool Text Client - Create Rendered ImageMy UDF's:GUI Enhance - Enhance your GUIs visually.IDEA File Encryption - Encrypt and decrypt files easily! File Rename - Rename files easilyRC4 Text Encryption - Encrypt text using the RC4 AlgorithmPrime Number - Check if a number is primeString Remove - remove lots of strings at onceProgress Bar - made easySound UDF - Play, Pause, Resume, Seek and Stop.

This is just awesome!!!

I couldn't test it properly because I didn't try to connect it to

anybody, but everything is just great!

Good job!

[quote name='Valik' post='301213' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:36 PM']You seem to have a habit of putting things in the wrong place. I feel sorry for any female you attempt to have sex with.[/quote][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/font]

Thank you very much for the warm welcome to the Forum. For the record though, this is not my first script I have ever written ... all though it is my first I have ever posted.

I did notice that while I was playing it at work during some down time, I realized that the only way to play it was with a Real Live person and that might be a little hard to come by ... so I added in a computer opponent to play against.

I'm not one to write real gripping AI so don't judge it to harshly ... you can see how I did it by checking out the file "computer.au3" ... not Halo or Half Life quality AI but it gets the job done.

Anyway hope you enjoy it.

-igadget

"62% of all statistics are made up."Othello - Single Player and Multiplayer (TCP/IP)

I meant first script posted in forum. Sorry for the confusion :">

My Programs:AInstall - Create a standalone installer for your programUnit Converter - Converts Length, Area, Volume, Weight, Temperature and Pressure to different unitsBinary Clock - Hours, minutes and seconds have 10 columns each to display timeAutoIt Editor - Code Editor with Syntax Highlighting.Laserix Editor & Player - Create, Edit and Play Laserix LevelsLyric Syncer - Create and use Synchronised Lyrics.Connect 4 - 2 Player Connect 4 Game (Local or Online!, Formatted Chat!!)MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, Tiger and Whirlpool Hash Finder - Dictionary and Brute Force FindCool Text Client - Create Rendered ImageMy UDF's:GUI Enhance - Enhance your GUIs visually.IDEA File Encryption - Encrypt and decrypt files easily! File Rename - Rename files easilyRC4 Text Encryption - Encrypt text using the RC4 AlgorithmPrime Number - Check if a number is primeString Remove - remove lots of strings at onceProgress Bar - made easySound UDF - Play, Pause, Resume, Seek and Stop.

I meant first script posted in forum. Sorry for the confusion :">

Hey ... no confusion on my part ... I just wanted to clarify so people did not think I had never done this kind of thing before. :">

Also, I checked out your Connect 4 game. Nice progress bar functionality while your waiting for someone to connect ... it's sweet. Did you come up with that function or is that in the AutoIT documentation and I missed it?

I think it's big_daddy's function... Not sure

Edit: Double Clicked Add reply by mistake

Edited by RazerM

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool! I love this game and to see it as a multi player in AUTOIT???!!!!? Never though I would see that. I did not even realize that all those network functions were available. Does anyone know what version those functions were added in?

@arjan

This program is awesome. :P

@dcovell

those functions are avalable in the latest stable AutoIt. (v3.2.0.1)

Get it here.

Edited by SolidSnake
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.