Redirect certain web adresses

Hello there,

I've been looking around this forum for a while now, but my problem seems to be somewhat specific.

I want to write a a program that permanently runs in the background and redirects some EXACT webadresses. Example: if someone enters "www.page.com" he should be redirected to "www.whatever.com/subpage"

How do I best go about this? My idea would be?

- check if IE is active

- check what text is entered

- if "www.page.com/subpage" is entered -> go to "...."

If this is feasible, how do I monitor the keystrokes?

Thanks a lot

Will

Edited by will never learn

What would such a program be used for?

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Hello there,

I've been looking around this forum for a while now, but my problem seems to be somewhat specific.

I want to write a a program that permanently runs in the background and redirects some EXACT webadresses. Example: if someone enters "www.page.com/subpage" he should be redirected to "www.whatever.com"

How do I best go about this? My idea would be?

- check if IE is active

- check what text is entered

- if "www.page.com/subpage" is entered -> go to "...."

If this is feasible, how do I monitor the keystrokes?

Thanks a lot

Will

Yes it's simple.

Here drink this bottle of cyanide. Problem solved.

Or click here!

Edited by Azu

Hmm, glad I can entertain you...

The program would be used at a university, where we have a number of premium accounts for students, which have to be entered through a special adress for each webpage. Since people keep forgetting the adress this would be a nice little gadget to roll out on the students' laptops.

Anything productive now?

Translated to your true intentions;

Hmm, glad I can masturbate...

The hijacker would be used at a black university, where we have a number of premium viruses for script kiddies, which have to be entered through a special hack for each trojan. Since I keep forgetting the hax this would be a nice little trojan to steal the noobs' laptops.

Anything malicious now?

Edited by Azu

• Moderators

Azu... you can only hypothesize on what his/her actual intentions are... Don't think you need to post such language in that theory alone.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Azu... you can only hypothesize on what his/her actual intentions are... Don't think you need to post such language in that theory alone.

It's the same person from before, the one asking how to autorun EXEs on everyone who visits his site..

• Moderators

It's the same person from before, the one asking how to autorun EXEs on everyone who visits his site..

I think the same thing, but I still stand by what I said there as well (about replying to his threads).

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Since people keep forgetting the adress

Have these people heard of a thing called a bookmark? Perhaps you should enlighten them. If there is a powerful anti-bookmark movement at this university, an alternative solution would be to create a server-side redirect with a shorter, easier-to-remember URL. Both of these methods are trivially easy compared to the administrative hassle of distributing a special program onto every student's laptop and making sure it's always running.

In addition, the example you provided doesn't match up with your explanation at all. You're saying that for some reason, this university has a completely separate domain name solely for the purpose of dealing with "premium accounts", and somehow this domain name by itself is more difficult to remember than a specific subpage address within a totally different domain. You must realize how suspicious this looks.

Hi, if he really wanted to do something legitimate, such as redirect people from one of his site to another, he could use something like;

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=www.site name here.com">

He wants to do something such as redirect people from a site that doesn't belong to him, to a site of his choice, which is malicious hijacking.

"will never learn", if you really are trying to do something legit, such as redirect people around your sites, use the HTML code

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=www.site name here.com">

It doesn't even require that people have javascript enabled.

Edited by Azu

Alright, I realize this does look suspicious, so:

- Yes, this redirect would be for webpages I do not have access to, since I do not happen to own car rentals, hotels and the like. So all serverside actions are out of the question. (Thanks for the idea, though)

The redirect would have the same effect as a login.

The adress changes periodically, so bookmarks are not a permanent solution, given that we are talking about 15-20 redirects.

People will be able to download the program at the University Intranet once it works.

Edited by will never learn

Hi.

If someone is trying to go to someone else's page that isn't your's (E.G. car rental site, hotels etc), and you use a program to prevent them from accesing it, and force them to instead goto a differant website, that is called browser hijacking, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal..

If you feel the need to change the name of your website frequently, you could consider making another page for the people to use, and just have that page iframe your site, and every time you change the URL, change it in the iframe, it will have the effect of them going there. Then you can change the name 100 times per day and noone will have to update their bookmarks or run anything.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/special/iframe.html

Azu is correct... what you are asking for is called browser hijacking, and it's a tactic utilized by the nastiest forms of spyware. It's already illegal in several countries, and in those countries where it's not, you can bet it won't stay that way for long. If there's a legitimate use for this kind of thing, I haven't found it yet.

So, now that we've firmly established that you're not going to get any help whatsoever in that direction, why don't you give us more information so we can find a solution that's not so morally questionable? Instead of just telling us that you want a program to do XYZ, actually explain in detail what the problem is that you want this program to solve. Instead of making vague references to "car rentals, hotels and the like", explain exactly why you want to redirect these sites, and perhaps give a real example of such a site. Walk us through the process that your users currently go through, then walk through it again with your solution in place and explain why it helps. The more information you give, the easier it gets.