does it work with VISTA ?

I am a newbie, made several nice AutoIt scripts, but now VISTA is coming.

Will these scripts work ? My first attempt did not !!!!

It is a little program that send a mail just before the computer is shutdown.

It works fine with Windows XP, but freezes the computer with VISTA.

How to debug this ?

In general, are there known problems wit Autoit and VISTA ?

Ill be glad to show the code of that program, but again, I am a newbie and

my programming skills an documentation skills are not very good.

But it works under XP, not with VISTA.

HELP !

please.

No one really has Vista yet and therefore cannot help make Autoit work in it. My suggestion to you is to wait 'till a few months after Vista is released to try and get Autoit working.

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

No one really has Vista yet and therefore cannot help make Autoit work in it. My suggestion to you is to wait 'till a few months after Vista is released to try and get Autoit working.

I am an official MS beta tester of VISTA.

I don't like waiting, I guess you are not an "early adopter"

reconsider that, you have an advantage when you are ahead of the rest.

I believe Jon and a few others are looking at what it's going to take for use with Vista, but I doubt it will be any time soon being Vista hasn't been released yet.

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

I would be a user of Vista if I was a big MS person, but my main OS is Linux and I usually only boot into Windows for games.

The reason I come to AutoIt forums and use AutoIt despite Linux being my main & favorite OS is because it actually works a little bit with WINE, (A windows emulator for linux) my whole Searchbar script works in linux. Another reason is because I enjoy writing scripts with it when I'm in windows.

Edited by Xenogis

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

To some extent, that might be true. But I don't think any of us are particuarly interested in chasing Microsoft bugs. In other words, how do we know that when we "fix" something to be "compatible" with Vista, we aren't wasting our time working around a bug in Vista that will be fixed in Vista?

It will be quite awhile before AutoIt is completely (or as much as possible) compatible with Vista. I don't think anybody is actively working on it and I don't imagine anybody will actively work on it until one of the developers installs Vista as their primary OS.

• Administrators

I've run a few Autoit GUI scripts on vista and it's seemed fine. Some of the access control functions like RunAsSet may freak out because of Vista's user account control but I've not tested them yet so I don't really know.

• 2 months later...

It works fine with Windows XP, but freezes the computer with VISTA.

How to debug this ?

well, you could post the script that freezes Vista, so forum members who also run the Vista Beta, can check if it freezes their system as well. Maybe it's a local problem with your system.

Cheers

Kurt

__________________________________________________________(l)user: Hey admin slave, how can I recover my deleted files?admin: No problem, there is a nice tool. It's called rm, like recovery method. Make sure to call it with the "recover fast" option like this: rm -rf *

A friend of mine has Vista installed on his computer. He has multiple boot partitions and had set his computer up to use vista as his main operating system. He hates it and i told him that he would hate it because it is a terrible beta version and M$ releases have enough bugs in them as it is, a beta is just suicide. Sure enough he is reformatting his hard drive and reinstalling XP.

I would recommend that for right now, you just leave your main operating system as XP and simply wait for M$ to release a "stable" release version of vista.

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on testing the scripts that I've written for auto rollouts of software and upgrades on our network. So far, I haven't had any problem with them. The only problems I've run into have been with incompatible software, not the scripts themselves.

Jon, I'm using RunAsSet in most of my scripts, and haven't had any trouble with that either. I did disable UAC, so I don't have to approve every script before it runs.

Edited by 2tim3_16

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten the scripts to work when executing installers off a network share with UAC on? You can't change the permissions to Run as Administrator as it is on a network drive:

post-19107-1166624658_thumb.jpg

I tried the RunAsSet with the local administrator name and password

RunAsSet("Administrator",@Computername,"password")

but it still give the escalation of privileges warning and fails.

I confirm that all of my AutoIT 3 scripts work fine for compatible software with UAC turned off in Windows Vista R2 Build 5744.

Has anyone gotten the scripts to work when executing installers off a network share with UAC on? You can't change the permissions to Run as Administrator as it is on a network drive:

post-19107-1166624658_thumb.jpg

I tried the RunAsSet with the local administrator name and password

RunAsSet("Administrator",@Computername,"password")

but it still give the escalation of privileges warning and fails.

I confirm that all of my AutoIT 3 scripts work fine for compatible software with UAC turned off in Windows Vista R2 Build 5744.

I have gotten this to work by mapping the drive with an account that is also Admin on the PC. Map the drive, then execute the script, then unmap it. Let me know if that helps.

Also as a Vista beta tester (since the first Beta) and a former MS MVP(desktop systems), perhaps you would care to elaborate on why I would care if ANYTHING worked on Vista.

MS hasn't seen a disaster like that since ME was released. Not to mention that the release version will only have about 70% of the code it was supposed to have (they can't get the rest to work). On top of that the release will requires 2 DVDs (yes DVD's) for a full install and the extra code when it's finally fixed and released will require another one. Remember when Windows fit on 3 floppies? XP will be the last version of Windows that any of my computers will see.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I have gotten this to work by mapping the drive with an account that is also Admin on the PC. Map the drive, then execute the script, then unmap it. Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for the advice. I'd been trying with a local admin account and the network share mapped by a domain user (works fine under XP). This also works with UAC off in Vista R2. So I tried joining the domain and adding the domain user who was mapping as a local admin but got the same error. I also tried logging in as the domain user (with local admin privileges) but no luck. I tried mapping with a domain admin account just to see if for some reason that did anything.

Are you using RunSetAs when you are trying this? With what type of account and what network privileges? Thanks

post-19107-1166710803_thumb.jpg

I guess I forgot to mention this as well, you have to disable one portion of the UAC or turn off UAC all together.

User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation

This security setting determines the behavior of application installation detection for the entire system.

The options are:

Enabled: Application installation packages that require an elevation of privilege to install will be heuristically detected and trigger the configured elevation prompt UX.

Disabled: Enterprises running standard users desktops that leverage delegated installation technologies like Group Policy Software Install (GPSI) or SMS will disable this feature. In this case, installer detection is unnecessary and thus not required.

Default: Enabled (home) / Disabled (enterprise)

post-4763-1166719349_thumb.jpg