Slipstreaming scripts.

• Moderators

Hi! I m newbie. I have created a few scripts using AutoIt.

Can i slipstream (integrate) these scripts with Unattended Windows XP?

If (yes)

{

How ?

}

else { exit :P }

Hope to hear!

How?... 2 things to do this 1. By asking a question in complete detail... 2. By posting your scripts so someone can actually tell you how to do what you want.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

How?... 2 things to do this 1. By asking a question in complete detail... 2. By posting your scripts so someone can actually tell you how to do what you want.

I have created fully automated windows xp which installs softwares in background also during the setup. My questoin is there are some softwares which can't be fully automated. For this purpose i created scripts for that softwares using AutoIt. Now how can i link (slipstream, integrate) those scripts inside the Unattended Windows XP setup? What will be the proper procedure? I have also converted those .au3 scripts to .exe.

I hope you get what i mean.

Here's an example script:

Run("talisman.exe")
WinWaitActive("Installing Talisman 2", "License Agreement")
Send("!a")
Send("!n")
WinWaitActive("Installing Talisman 2", "Readme")
Send("{ENTER}")
WinWaitActive("Installing Talisman 2", "Destination Directory")
Send("{ENTER}")
WinWaitActive("Talisman 2")
WinClose("Talisman 2")
WinWaitActive("Talisman")

I have created fully automated windows xp which installs softwares in background also during the setup. My questoin is there are some softwares which can't be fully automated. For this purpose i created scripts for that softwares using AutoIt.

You mean that you cannot silent install the software with switches, so you need to automate them?

Now how can i link (slipstream, integrate) those scripts inside the Unattended Windows XP setup?

Once you mention slipstream...for installers, you make them sound like a MS hotfix? Installers replace no windows source files so the term mentioned is used very strange distinction.

What will be the proper procedure?

I use an AutoIt script that executes from Cmdlines.txt at T-12. The script searches through folders I assigned for au3 installation scripts that get executed immediately.

I have also converted those .au3 scripts to .exe.

Your choice. Mine remain au3 for easy editng.

I hope you get what i mean.

Very vague on your method of deployment. Which is?

I think I know what you are asking for. You want it so when you install XP, the packages you have would install also, making the entire process automated. In order for AutoIT to run, you do need WIndows running. What may work is having the exe files you want ran entered into the runonce in the registry, and have autologon enabled so the exe files can run. You would have to research how to add the items to the runonce, but I think that would do it.

Depending on how you are installing windows (Network install would be best in this case) it would be a simple thing to have the programs you need ready to install.

You mean that you cannot silent install the software with switches, so you need to automate them?

That's exactly what i want.

I use an AutoIt script that executes from Cmdlines.txt at T-12. The script searches through folders I assigned for au3 installation scripts that get executed immediately.

You mean that i have to create a batch file and put all my scripts inside it and then finally i have to enter the name of that batch file in Cmdlines.txt like start.cmd and put all my softwares+scripts in a folder and mention it in that batch file.

I think I know what you are asking for. You want it so when you install XP, the packages you have would install also, making the entire process automated. In order for AutoIT to run, you do need WIndows running. What may work is having the exe files you want ran entered into the runonce in the registry, and have autologon enabled so the exe files can run. You would have to research how to add the items to the runonce, but I think that would do it.

Depending on how you are installing windows (Network install would be best in this case) it would be a simple thing to have the programs you need ready to install.

Thanx for the reply but i do not want to use the runoce method, bcoz it still sometime displays the GUI. I want these scripts to execute in such a way that a user should not feel even for a moment that something is happening behind the background. It would be greatful to integrate these scripts as a Hotfix in nLite!

In order for AutoIT to run, you do need WIndows running.

AutoIt can be used anytime during Gui mode setup. Ofcourse WMI is not available until first logon.

That's exactly what i want.

You mean that i have to create a batch file and put all my scripts inside it and then finally i have to enter the name of that batch file in Cmdlines.txt like start.cmd and put all my softwares+scripts in a folder and mention it in that batch file.

You do not need a single batch file :nuke: . AutoIt scripts can do it all if you wish. You can even run your script entries from Cmdlines.txt, GuiRunOnce from Winnt.sif. You could even use an AutoIt script to manage adding entries into RunOnceEx to execute your installation scripts. There is no unreasonable limit to what a script can do with an unattended Windows installation. Windows setup gives you opportunities to use scripts as you see fit.

Thanx for the reply but i do not want to use the runoce method, bcoz it still sometime displays the GUI. I want these scripts to execute in such a way that a user should not feel even for a moment that something is happening behind the background. It would be greatful to integrate these scripts as a Hotfix in nLite!

An automated install can be hidden in a couple of ways.

1. Use WinWait() and Control*() functions and WinMove() the 1st install window off the screen area and continue automation offscreen. You would still see the flicker of the 1st window appearing. Some installers may not let you WinMove() the window so is not always available to use.

2. A method I use is to use a full screen, always on top with hotkey to switch off on top, titleless Gui that uses the same picture background as the billboard in winntbbu.dll uses. Again WinWait() and Control*() functions are needed.

Here is my installations at T-12 to view here which hides any automated installs. AutoIt can make the task as pretty as you like, but you need to assert the effort to make it so. Oh, and I was/am (based on lack of interest :P ) sometimes working on project here which is based on what I use.

3. Repack to enable silent install.

For making the so called nLite addon cabs, then you may need to consider options 1 or 3.

:)