Licensing Question

jfath

I have an open source automation project called IOX hosted on SourceForge at http://iox.sourceforge.net/.

The project is cross-platform, but I've recently written a plugin to do Windows specific stuff and I'm using AutoItX to perform the various window and control automation functions.

I've given proper credit in the About dialog and documentation and included the AutoItX license text along with the DLL.

My question is, can I also distribute the AutoIt Window Info Tool, or do IOX users need to download the full AutoIt binary from the AutoIt Web site to get that app?

Thanks for your help, and thanks for making AutoIt3 and AutoItX available.

Jerry

• Moderators

Larry wrote that I believe, he would know better than anyone.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

My interpretation is "no" but I think the license may be a bit vague on this point.

Specifically, I'm referring to the reproduction/distribution clause:

Reproduction and Distribution. You may reproduce and distribute an unlimited number of copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; provided that each copy shall be a true and complete copy, including all copyright and trademark notices, and shall be accompanied by a copy of this EULA. Copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may be distributed as a standalone product or included with your own product.

In this case, what constitutes "complete"? My interpretation is that either the full contents of the installer or the full contents of the ZIP file are what constitutes complete.

In my opinion, the license could use some work in general. I don't think it makes it clear enough just what can be distributed. For example, compiled scripts do not need the EULA but it's hard to pick that out of the license. Also, there doesn't seem to be any provision covering AutoItX at all which is a little different than a compiled script. Obviously AutoItX needs to be distributable without the full package but that's not explicitly stated or even implied anywhere.

>Obviously AutoItX needs to be distributable without the full package but that's not explicitly stated or even implied anywhere.

Agreed. Before I started using AutoItX, I found a thread here in the forums that implied it was OK to distribute the DLL by itself, so I'm assuming that's correct, but I would feel better if it was stated explicitly.

Jerry

• 5 months later...

Check out WinSpy.

http://www.catch22.net/software/winspy.asp

It is like Window info tool with a lot more extras. Its free and source code is available. see quote below.

'you can freely use any sourcecode or portions of code in your applications, whether they be free software or professional, retail products. But please check any readme's that come with downloads from this site as they may contain more specific information related to that download.'

Hope that helps.