GUI Designer: Koda 1.7.3.0

Lazycat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I discovered bug in Koda with "Import Autoit GUI" command,

problem is in GUICtrlCreateIcon() when there are used variables instead of constants.

Here is small reproducer

Global $ico, $ico_id

$form1 = GuiCreate("Title",230,150)
;~ GUISetIcon($ico, $ico_id, $form1)
GUICtrlCreateIcon ($ico,$ico_id,11,11) ; problem here!
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    Switch GuiGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ; Esc
                Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

As shown in attached screenshot, output window says that all is OK but at time of opening form is error:

Koda is unable to open this form, parser reports an error:

Could not convert variant of type (String) into type (Boolean)

Note that commented line GUISetIcon($ico, $ico_id, $form1) when uncommented doesn't bring any error it just ignores it.

In fact there are two errors in Koda:

1) parsing GUICtrlCreateIcon() with variables instead of constants generates invalid form

2) parsing (test of validity) of form after Import should be done/handled in Import output window (before time of message "Info: Done successfuly")

because it's confusing to see "Done successfuly" and above that popup error message from parser.

EDIT:

In fact in my real application I use $ico, $ico_id variables like this

If @Compiled Then
        $ico = @ScriptName
        $ico_id = 0
     Else
         $ico = "my_icon.ico"
         $ico_id = -1
     EndIf

post-6483-0-99827900-1321027352_thumb.pn

Edited by Zedna

Another BUG in Koda:

I have got form with icn control. It's in the end of TabOrder order and I want to move it to begin of TabOrder. I can do it in TabOrder dialog and after click on OK then Save form and Generate code icon is still at the end of TabOrder.

EDIT: the same way I can't move by TabOrder also some labels.

Edited by Zedna

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Koda is kindly one of the best parts of AutoIt, without it designing a complex GUI is almost impossible.

In my opinion an official GUI designer is a must for AutoIt. We should consider that Lazycat has a Real-Life too.

I'm not looking to AutoIt as a basic-script language, it's kindly my first choose to code almost everything. AutoIt makes the most hard-to-do things easy for us (for me at least ), i want the bests for AutoIt and a Visual Designing & Coding editor is one of my wishes.

So far i sometimes think to a better name for AutoIt! :)

Koda is kindly one of the best parts of AutoIt, without it designing a complex GUI is almost impossible.

I'd have to disagree with this statement almost entirely. Koda makes designing a complex GUI easier, but without it the same results can be obtained quite easily. It may take longer, but the results will be better than what Koda produces in the long run, you usually have to modify the code a lot after Koda has finished doing it's thing.

Also, Koda grinds to a halt when you have a lot of controls and it's actually much faster to do it yourself once you get above a certain number of controls on a GUI.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify, I think that Koda is an invaluable asset to GUI creation and that I think that it goes without saying that making a GUI with it is usually easier than without it but it does have its limitations too. I just thought the hyperbole was over the top in that statement.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

koda was made in python, wasn't it?

As I recall KODA was written in Delphi.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Seems Lazycat is not going to develop Koda anymore, hope he just share the source code with someone ( Maybe some AutoIt's developer ) to fix the bugs and update.

Yes, 2011 was a really difficult year for me. Nevertheless I'm not going to drop project at the moment. I have nothing opposite to have someone else in our small team. But sadly, though we give the source to few people who "willing" to help, we got nothing back.

I am actually making a similar program at the moment.

koda was made in python, wasn't it?

No, it's Delphi 7.

It's nice to hear someone make similar program. But I heard such promises many times before, and never seen the result...

Koda makes designing a complex GUI easier, but without it the same results can be obtained quite easily. It may take longer, but the results will be better than what Koda produces in the long run, you usually have to modify the code a lot after Koda has finished doing it's thing.

Not "quite easy" in complex GUI's, and really not so many editing is needed after all (if you not doing something special).

But manually written code usually will be more clean and controllable, of course.

May i know more about the program you are working on?

Yep. Well I wont go into a tonne of detail, but I want to make a program with what I will be calling panels, just numerous large parts for the overall program.

There will be a sripting part (Called the scripting panel)

• A GUI Designer (The GUI Designer panel)
  • A graphical, plain english code representation (so people can use that to make programs if they dont know the language)
  • Code maintainence panels

• Variable Manager
  • Output
  • Includes Manager
Also, later on in the programs development, I want to add:
  • Ribbon
  • Plugin support
  • Theming engine
Ofcourse, I have many more ideas but for now I will keep them to myself.

No, it's Delphi 7.

It's nice to hear someone make similar program. But I heard such promises many times before, and never seen the result...

Alright, thanks. Well this is a major project for me (but I have about 3 major projects going at the moment as well as uni entry this year) and I intend to get it done, whether it takes me 5 months or 5 years (although by the end of 5 years it would likely be obselete). Edited by Mikeman27294

Just to say, I think LazyCat did an awesome job on this.

Anytime I need to create a GUI, I always start off with KODA.

I don't build the entire GUI with it, but it's a great starting point and has saved a lot of time in the building process.

1. Project requests from others: Use KODA to get the basic layout that they want.

2. Save the Form so I can reuse on future GUI builds, or to go back and rearrange if called for.

3. Create additional Child GUI's a lot quicker by using KODA

In a nutshell, thank you very much to LazyCat and all the others involved with it's creation.

If you try to fail and succeed which have you done?AutoIt Forum Search

Is there a beta or a update in the near future?

Kodo is awesome but for one thing it feels incomplete, I always end up editing the output by hand which takes too much time. Often I find that some styles, extended styles, and options are disabled, missing, or do nothing when clicked on. for example the toolbar control has tons of options missing or do nothing when clicked on. Even so it's very good for a mockup GUI or a starting point.

Here's some bugs that have been bugging me

Copy and paste a control and the new control's position will be misaligned with the original control, drag it right next to the control and it will not match up in alignment.

Moving existing controls inside a group control causes the new controls to be hidden behind the group controls.. and/or doesn not aknowledge the controls are even their and thew controls position remain unchanged if the group position is changed.

Resizing a label and then changing the text values of the label to anything (empty for example) causes the label to be resized

I'm not sure the exact procedures to replicate these bugs but they are there, and happens numerous times.

Edited by WinkleDoodle

Yep. Well I wont go into a tonne of detail, but I want to make a program with what I will be calling panels, just numerous large parts for the overall program.

There will be a sripting part (Called the scripting panel)

• A GUI Designer (The GUI Designer panel)
  • A graphical, plain english code representation (so people can use that to make programs if they dont know the language)
  • Code maintainence panels

• Variable Manager
  • Output
  • Includes Manager
Also, later on in the programs development, I want to add:
  • Ribbon
  • Plugin support
  • Theming engine
Ofcourse, I have many more ideas but for now I will keep them to myself.

Alright, thanks. Well this is a major project for me (but I have about 3 major projects going at the moment as well as uni entry this year) and I intend to get it done, whether it takes me 5 months or 5 years (although by the end of 5 years it would likely be obselete).

Thanks for the sneak preview?, but unfortunely this uber complex program of yours will fail really hard unless you get feedback from others, but that's up to you. I know this first hand.