parsing for email addresses

Depends on how you read it in. I'm assuming each line isn't a seperate element in an array, otherwise you could use the same technique you used for FileReadLine to run through a for loop on the array elements. How about searching for the occurance of an @ character, starting with the left-most side and working towards the right side. Once you find one, continue backing up towards the left until you hit the beginning of the string, or an illegal char (like a space, or whatever.) Do the same for the right. If you might have an @ character where there is no email address, you'll also want to have some kind of a VerifyEmail function, just to make sure no illegal chars are in the email itself (like two @'s, or something.)

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

Depends on how you read it in.  I'm assuming each line isn't a seperate element in an array, otherwise you could use the same technique you used for FileReadLine to run through a for loop on the array elements.  How about searching for the occurance of an @ character, starting with the left-most side and working towards the right side.  Once you find one, continue backing up towards the left until you hit the beginning of the string, or an illegal char (like a space, or whatever.)  Do the same for the right.  If you might have an @ character where there is no email address, you'll also want to have some kind of a VerifyEmail function, just to make sure no illegal chars are in the email itself (like two @'s, or something.)

great idea like a stringright starting with the first char then finding the @ and going to a function to get the email addy then moving on

Thanks

Rick

Instead of testing each character, why not use StringInStr to get the next position? Here is a template of what my idea was:

Func FindEmails($input)
 ;localize all variables here since it's a func
  Local $return[1];I just localized my array for this example
  For $i = 1 To StringLen($input)
    $symbol = StringInStr($input, "@", 0, $i)
    If $symbol = 0 Then ExitLoop
   ;keep going backwards from the $symbol position until you hit a space
   ;also watch out for the start of $input, and stop if we reach that
    $start = <OUR_DISCOVERED_START_LOCATION>
   ;now go forwards from that $symbol position until you hit a space
   ;also watch out for the end of the $input, and stop if we reach that
    $end = <OUR_DISCOVERED_STOP_LOCATION>
    ReDim $return[$i];expand array as needed
    $return[$i-1] = StringMid($input, $start, $end-$start)
  Next
  return $return
EndFunc

[font="Optima"]"Standing in the rain, twisted and insane, we are holding onto nothing.Feeling every breath, holding no regrets, we're still looking out for something."[/font]Note: my projects are off-line until I can spend more time to make them compatable with syntax changes.

Instead of testing each character, why not use StringInStr to get the next position?  Here is a template of what my idea was:

Func FindEmails($input)
;localize all variables here since it's a func
  Local $return[1];I just localized my array for this example
  For $i = 1 To StringLen($input)
    $symbol = StringInStr($input, "@", 0, $i)
    If $symbol = 0 Then ExitLoop
  ;keep going backwards from the $symbol position until you hit a space
  ;also watch out for the start of $input, and stop if we reach that
    $start = <OUR_DISCOVERED_START_LOCATION>
  ;now go forwards from that $symbol position until you hit a space
  ;also watch out for the end of the $input, and stop if we reach that
    $end = <OUR_DISCOVERED_STOP_LOCATION>
    ReDim $return[$i];expand array as needed
    $return[$i-1] = StringMid($input, $start, $end-$start)
  Next
  return $return
EndFunc
Love ya mannnnnnnn

Gotta study this one a bit. You guys are geniuses

Rick