Automating non-standard Windows controls

theguy0000

Is it at all possible to automate non-standard windows controls, on a hidden window?

I cannot get the statusbar text (to tell wether the other person is typing) or the text already sent in an IM window. it just returns blank.

On the standard MSN messenger, the whole window shows up as 1 control.

On the standard Yahoo messenger, I can't read either of the two (i can get the control ID, but ControlGetText returns blank), but i can read most other text...

On Trillian, which is 1 program for yahoo, msn, and AIM, everything shows up as "Trillian Unicode control" or something like that, and the AutoIt Window Info shows no text for any of them.

Remember that this needs to work on hidden Windows, too.

(oh and I tried gaim, but I couldn't even get as far as the AutoIt Window Info. it just crashes as soon as I sign on.)

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

There's a messenger UDF, but i'm not sure if that has a lot of features..

Edit: Here are some quick links:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...&hl=MSN+UDF

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...amp;#entry72301

The last link is about COM objects too, which probably is a better answer to your question.

Edited by Manadar

There's a messenger UDF, but i'm not sure if that has a lot of features..

Edit: Here are some quick links:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...&hl=MSN+UDF

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...amp;#entry72301

The last link is about COM objects too, which probably is a better answer to your question.

NOW you post the links, after I went thriugh 10 pages of search results. LOL

and I need to automate yahoo and AIM too :)

Thanks thoigh, that solved 1/3 of the problem lol

The cake is a lie.www.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP images.theguy0000.com is currentlyUP all other *.theguy0000.com sites are DOWN

an IM bot. for yahoo, MSN, and AIM. If i could just automate those non-standard controls while the window is hidden, I could make it work.

an IM bot. for yahoo, MSN, and AIM. If i could just automate those non-standard controls while the window is hidden, I could make it work.

You got GAIM?

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

it crashes as soon as I log in.

Possibly related to this bug report? --

"Yesterday, Gaim started crashing for a bunch of people (most notably Windows users) when trying to connect a MSN account.

* Update - August 20th, 2006 - 12:32 CDT *

Gaim 2.0.0beta3.1 has been released which fixes this and other bugs in beta3. You can download it from its SourceForge file release page. "

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Possibly related to this bug report? --

"Yesterday, Gaim started crashing for a bunch of people (most notably Windows users) when trying to connect a MSN account.

* Update - August 20th, 2006 - 12:32 CDT *

Gaim 2.0.0beta3.1 has been released which fixes this and other bugs in beta3. You can download it from its SourceForge file release page. "

*knocks on own head*

thank you lol

all the controls in gaim just show up as "gdkChildWindowNN" (NN of course replaced by a number). and the text to all the controls is "gaim.exe".

all the controls in gaim just show up as "gdkChildWindowNN" (NN of course replaced by a number). and the text to all the controls is "gaim.exe".

Hmm... seems AutoIT is not your best answer with GAIM. It is, however scriptable with Perl.

Hmm... seems AutoIT is not your best answer with GAIM. It is, however scriptable with Perl.

now that's definitely something to look into. thanks.

oh and one more thing about gaim, as soon as i open the program, before i even sign in, it says "There is no disk in the drive." with the buttons Continue, Try Again, and Cancel. If I click Try Again, it does the same thing, If I click Cancel or Continue, the program continues as normal. It also doews this when someone tries to start a new conversation with me.

well, plugins can send and recieve text, etc. but I would really want to do this from autoit, because I hardly know any perl. I wonder if I could somehow put the two together?...I'll do some research...