Read/Write to memory

kjmarket

How many of those protocols did you break calling me an asshole out of the blue? Your philosophy, by the way, is just as "pseudo" as mine is. Don't even think for a second you can act like you're right and I'm wrong and get away with it. You're just as "wrong" as I am or I'm just as "right" as you are. Also, I wouldn't make the assumption that I'm not intelligent enough to know about said protocols. I just think most of them are a load of shit and far too much emphasis in placed on them. Now, if you don't mind, think you could get off your high horse and shut the hell up for awhile? I'm not going to listen to you any more than I'm going to listen to the hunderd other people who have said the exact same thing.

So you're a lazy bastard, then? While I am a lazy bastard as well, I at least learned a very long time ago that if I wanted the answer to a question, I should find it myself. Otherwise, if I can't find the answer on my own, maybe I'm not really interested after all?

So calling somebody an asshole who's never been an asshole to you is not juvenille? Again, please practice what you're going to preach or just shut up.

kjmarket, the problem is, your thread title contains the exact search terms you needed to search for. If you would have searched for "read write memory" you would have gotten a crap-load of results. Too many, in fact. Your next step should have been to look at the very basic "advanced usage" of the search engine to narrow the results. You'll quickly see that you need to add + to each word to use an AND search instead of OR. Thus, searching for "+read +write +memory" will produce at least two threads within the first 40 by w0uter with the answer you seek. And those search terms I know you know because that is the title you gave this thread. If you had shown no knowledge of the correct search terms, I wouldn't have said anything or at least provided you with the correct terms. But you did know the exact terms you needed because you put them in the title of the thread.

wow... I feel bad for you.. all the arguing you have to do(including with me). :">

I solved the problem of the wierd ascii characters. The only problem now, is even though it reads and writes the correct values to the correct addresses, it still almost imediately changes the value back to what it was. I had it loop to continually change the value to freeze it, and it changes the value back so quick you can hardly see it change to 1700. Any ideas?

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Overwriting a value in a game is always a funny thing, and you can stumble over two general problems here:

1) Your trainer-tool needs to write the values into memory really fast. If you want to freeze your health points in a game and you get hit, the game will write the new, decreased health value into the memory. To prevent dying, you'll have to write the full-health value back into the memory before your character gets hit the next time.

So in autoit, I'd put it in a loop like

while 1
_memwrite (....)
sleep(20)
Wend

2) If "your" value you're writing in the game's memory is overwritten immediately (even if your character does not get hit or such) you are simply writing into the false memory address. For example in most games the desired value is stored at least two times - the one and only "master value" and several mirrors, used to... let's say display the value on the screen. Of course the screen-value gets overwritten by the "master" value over and over every time... you can check it quite simple: after a few searches with your favorite cheat tool you'll see (in most cases) one to ten possible adresses. Change the first value, back to game, do nothing, back to the cheat tool. See if one or all other adresses got the new value. If yes: you found the master adress. If not, especially if "your" value has been overwritten: try next found address.

If you're sure you're using the correct address and the while-wend loop is not fast enough, even when decreasing the sleep-amount further, I'd suggest using a "real" trainer tool like the already mentioned T-Search or (my favorite) Cheatengine.

Search your address, rightclick on it and select "find what writes to this adress". This way the Cheatengine will find the program code which does change your value. Overwriting this code with 0x90 Bytes should do the job :P

Of course, since you'll have to patch this changes only once after starting the game, it does not matter how fast you can write into memory :)

hope this helps

Marc

Edited by Marc

Any of my own codes posted on the forum are free for use by others without any restriction of any kind. (WTFPL)