Take screenshots?

Slythfox

How can I take screenshots of the desktop and save it to a file? It needs to run invisibly so that I can use it in an autoit script. It also needs to be an open source solution.

I searched this forum and found this. This is exactly what I want. Except the issue is that the dll used to make the screenshot app isn't open source! (or is it?)

• Moderators

How can I take screenshots of the desktop and save it to a file? It needs to run invisibly so that I can use it in an autoit script. It also needs to be an open source solution.

I searched this forum and found this. This is exactly what I want. Except the issue is that the dll used to make the screenshot app isn't open source! (or is it?)

Why does the dll have to be open source?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Why does the dll have to be open source?

Well it doesn't have to be open "source," but under a license where it can be legally redistributed. I don't need the source code, just the binary (.exe or .dll). Edited by Slythfox

• Moderators

Well it doesn't have to be open "source," but under a license where it can be legally redistributed. I don't need the source code, just the binary (.exe or .dll).

LazyCat has offered it to be freely distributed.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

LazyCat has offered it to be freely distributed.

I just realised it takes horrible screen pictures... Like 24bit color or something...

However, using the printscreen button on my keyboard creates a good image. Is it possible to an autoit program that discreetly pushes the printscreen button, and pastes the screenshot into a file?

Edited by Slythfox

I remember that lazycats dll is open source

edit1= At least it is possible to view the source at http://www.autoitscript.com/fileman/users/Lazycat/files/captdll_src.zip

Edited by rambo3889
My Scripts:Radioblog Club Music DownloaderOther stuff:Fun movieIm serious read the help file it helps :PFight 'Till you drop. Never stop, You Cant give up. Til you reach the top Fight! you’re the best in town Fight!

I am doing something similar now. Here is how you can do it.

1. Capture the image and save as a file.

1a. Use lazycat dll to save as jpg.

1b. Use MwSnap (or some other tool like IrfanView but it is only free for non commercial)to save as .png.

2. Use the functions in the UDF Word.au3 to save this file to a Word document.

I had to use MwSnap vs. the dll simply because .png files are smaller than .jpg and I am inserting 100+ screen images at a time into word.

Kohr