Updating the Quicklaunch Toolbar

Does anybody know how I can quickly update the icons of the Quicklaunch toolbar (beneath the START button) with AutoIt?

Background: On system-startup I am running an automated backup of my Firefox-browser via AutoIt and the RunWait command (which fires the backup application). Firefox is represented with an icon in the quicklaunch toolbar.

What I want to achieve is that the link and the icon are replaced by others to show me that the browser is currently not available so I don't click on it by accident. There are other ways to notify of that (MsgBox or whatever) but I'd like to try it this way.

The icon/link-replacement works but the icon is still the old one (cached).

The replacement *is* possible by letting AutoIt disabling and afterwards enabling the toolbar. Drawbacks are that this is sloooow and that the width of the toolbar is not remembered.

Any idea of a quicker way?

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Its all lnk files, so you can just use FileMove to rename etc...

Hope that will help.

Were ever i lay my script is my home...

ooh stupid me...

I have tried to post the answer above all day, but could not logon, and when i login and post it, i noticed that its not the "correct" answer :D

If you don´t find any solution, you can try this.

Move a temporary link to the same location with the same name, with a different icon. It will then update windows with the new icon, and hopefully it will then not have it cached.

Were ever i lay my script is my home...

The following updates the icon right away for me on Windows XP Pro:

Change the path of $LNK as needed; might have different username than "Administrator"

$icon = @SystemDir & "\SHELL32.dll"
$LNK = "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Firefox.lnk"

FileCreateShortcut("",$LNK,"","","",$icon)
Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

w00T - thanks, you rock! :D

Works like a charm, I now have it like this:

$icon_real = "D:\progs\Firefox\firefox.exe"
$icon_temp = "E:\Icons\Firefox-disabled.ico"
$LNK = "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<Username>\Anwendungsdaten\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Mozilla Firefox.lnk"

FileCreateShortcut("",$LNK,"","","",$icon_temp)

...<backup launch code goes here>...

FileCreateShortcut("",$LNK,"","","",$icon_real)
Edited by trunc.ate