Writing to HK_Users - Help

Hi All,

I am about to deploy a configuration file for Internet Explorer to 100 boxes. I need to be able to specify inside the HKEY_Users registry key the path to this config file. I cannot find the similar settings under HKEY_Current User.

Can I do this using RegEnumKey? and how would a script read for something like that.

Value I need to write is as follows

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-11883492-98051299-3308255950-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

AutoConfigURL"="file://c:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/proxy

Also how would I write this to another Users registrt on the same PC?

Thanks ahead of time.

Mike

If you are using Active Directory you can add registry settings in group policy or set proxy setting in group policy Internet Explorer Maintenance.

If you arent using AD, then you can use the below key if you want it in current user. But, you would probably be better of with HKEY_USERS because HKEY_CURRENT_USER is only going to modify the user currntly logged in and your script would need to be ran at least once for each user. You could do this with a logon script though.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

If you are using Active Directory you can add registry settings in group policy or set proxy setting in group policy Internet Explorer Maintenance.

If you arent using AD, then you can use the below key if you want it in current user. But, you would probably be better of with HKEY_USERS because HKEY_CURRENT_USER is only going to modify the user currntly logged in and your script would need to be ran at least once for each user. You could do this with a logon script though.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

So If i use the HKEY_Users is the key I write to the following

HKEY_USERS\(Username)\...

or do I have to have that enormouse S-151.... number to write it to?

If so How would I programatically get this number for each system?

Thanks

Edited by hispeed_mike