how would one telnet?

bluesxman

I'll start by saying this: I've not been working with AutoIt for very long, and my previous brush with programming (rather than cmd/UNIX scripting, which I do a fair bit of) was in PASCAL and ADA in the mid 90's. And I've effectively forgotten everything I learned of them.

So please try not to bombard me with too much code wizardry that I may or may not be able to make head nor tail of. :)

Right, so let's get to my query:

I won't bore you with the details (unless you want me to) but suffice it to say I need to telnet to a given host, send a few commands, parsing the screen output to determine the current state of play, send a few more commands when conditions are met, disconnect. The second bit isn't essential -- as I can probably get the information I need from a webpage and crunch that -- but it would be nice to know the commands haven't caused errors at runtime, and not have to mess around with the webpage if I can avoid it.

Is this going to be anywhere near straightforward?

TIA

~bxm

Edited by bluesxman

I need to telnet to a given host,

easy enough -- depending on your telnet client and its level of interactability.

send a few commands, parsing the screen output to determine the current state of play,

check out the Run options with regard to console interactions (stdout/stdin/stderr)

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

Take a look at this:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30125

Without providing more information on what your doing, it's hard to answer your question for sure. Are you trying to telnet to a web host? Why? What problem are you trying to solve?

[font="Fixedsys"][list][*]All of my AutoIt Example Scripts[*]http://saneasylum.com[/list][/font]